UK: Fashion retail sales improve in January
Fashion sales grew 7.3% on a like-for-like basis in January
A combination of pent-up demand and shoppers holding out for discounts helped UK fashion sales improve in January, according to new research.
The BDO High Street Sales Tracker showed fashion sales grew 7.3% on a like-for-like basis during the month, reversing the 4.6% year-on-year drop in December.
Overall like-for-like sales among mid-market retailers rose 8% year-on-year - the biggest rise since January 2011. This growth was also helped by a 10.7% increase in non-fashion sales.
The improvement, however, is measured against a very poor month last year when sales were decimated by heavy snow.
Don Williams, national head of retail and wholesale at BDO, said: "Caution might sound like a surprising response to a three-year high but it shouldn't be underestimated how tough the last few years have been."
Volumes are being held back, he noted, and will also be hit as many retailers delay a return to full pricing.
But he added: "January has undoubtedly moved in the right direction but this has been stimulated by shoppers holding out for cut prices.
"It is not until the high street settles down to normalised pricing in February that we will be able to see whether consumer confidence has got a toe hold and start to see how the year may unfold."
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- Li & Fung capital helps PLM firm expand into Asia
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Diversification a key focus for Under Armour
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Footwear “facing increased compliance challenges"
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Arrests made at US REI/North Face protests
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015