UK: Fashion retail sales improve in January
Fashion sales grew 7.3% on a like-for-like basis in January
A combination of pent-up demand and shoppers holding out for discounts helped UK fashion sales improve in January, according to new research.
The BDO High Street Sales Tracker showed fashion sales grew 7.3% on a like-for-like basis during the month, reversing the 4.6% year-on-year drop in December.
Overall like-for-like sales among mid-market retailers rose 8% year-on-year - the biggest rise since January 2011. This growth was also helped by a 10.7% increase in non-fashion sales.
The improvement, however, is measured against a very poor month last year when sales were decimated by heavy snow.
Don Williams, national head of retail and wholesale at BDO, said: "Caution might sound like a surprising response to a three-year high but it shouldn't be underestimated how tough the last few years have been."
Volumes are being held back, he noted, and will also be hit as many retailers delay a return to full pricing.
But he added: "January has undoubtedly moved in the right direction but this has been stimulated by shoppers holding out for cut prices.
"It is not until the high street settles down to normalised pricing in February that we will be able to see whether consumer confidence has got a toe hold and start to see how the year may unfold."
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Under Armour makes lifestyle push with new brand
- North Face has holistic view on harmful chemicals
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- US Q2 in brief - Columbia Sportswear, Rocky Brands
- Ananta Group hits back at Bangladesh union claims
- Transparency index to expand to 100 brands
- Gap joins Better Cotton Initiative
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020