SWEDEN: Fashion Statement Was Costly For H&M
Hennes & Mauritz, the Swedish apparel retailer, blamed its slide in profits on discounts on hard-to-sell clothing which cost the retailer SEK 350m, news swervice di.se reported today."We have had too much high fashion compared to basic fashion, which meant we had to lower prices. But we've corrected that imbalance now," CEO Rolf Eriksen said.The company said that measures to reduce costs were taken during the third quarter, which will reduce costs by SEK 500m on an annual basis.Hennes & Mauritz (H&M) profits for the first nine months fell by 19 per cent to SEK 2.6 billion. This was somewhat lower than most analysts expected. But despite the slide in profits, H&M shares gained substantially on the Stockholm Exchange.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020