JAPAN: Fast Retailing cuts FY view as Uniqlo sales slump
- Uniqlo Japan sales down 1% to JPY138.6bn
- Same store sales fell 5.4% year-on-year
- FY operating outlook lowered 1.6%
Operating income for Uniqlo Japan was down 1.2% to JPY20.4bn (US$256.1bn) for the three months to the end of May. Sales declined 1% year-on-year to JPY138.6bn, while same-store sales fell 5.4% year-on-year.
The company said the drop was mainly because of its strong focus on spring inventory, which hurt sales of inter-season garments, coupled with cooler weather dampening sales of summer clothing.
As a result, the Japanese retail giant has reduced its operating income forecast for Uniqlo Japan by 1.6% to JPY104.5bn.
However, sales for Uniqlo International reached JPY37.7bn, up 61.1% year-on-year, while operating income increased 19.8% to JPY2.1bn. For the global brands division, net sales increased 33.8% to JPY41bn for the three months, while operating income reached JPY5.5bn, surging 97.2%.
Overall, net income for the three months to the end of May grew 25.5% year-on-year to JPY14.7bn. Operating income reached JPY27.5bn, up 22.5% year-on-year, while sales jumped 12% to JPY218bn.
For the nine months to the end of May, net income reached JPY72.5bn. Operating income jumped 14.1% to JPY119.3bn, while sales were up 14% to JPY43.5bn.
Faced with continuing challenging trading conditions in 2012, retailers responded with a number of different strategies to try to grow their businesses. International expansion, new and larger format ...
Among the industry executives who spoke with just-style this year were Ranjan Mahtani, CEO of Epic Group; Henry Tan, CEO of Luen Thai Holdings; Andrew Lo, CEO of Crystal Group; and Marks & Spencer's K...
Fast Retailing's low priced clothing retailer G.U. plans to reduce the proportion of product it sources from China. ...
South Korean apparel conglomerate E-Land Group has set its sights on annual sales of KRW10tn (US$9.32bn) in China by 2016, according to local press reports....
Fashion retailer H&M Hennes & Mauritz is set to launch a clothing recycling scheme which will encourage consumers to hand in used garments at H&M stores worldwide to be reused or recycled....
Fast Retailing, which operates the Uniqlo brand, is to acquire a majority stake in fashion firm J Brand as it looks to strengthen its position in the US....
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)