JAPAN: Fast Retailing cuts FY view as Uniqlo sales slump
- Uniqlo Japan sales down 1% to JPY138.6bn
- Same store sales fell 5.4% year-on-year
- FY operating outlook lowered 1.6%
Operating income for Uniqlo Japan was down 1.2% to JPY20.4bn (US$256.1bn) for the three months to the end of May. Sales declined 1% year-on-year to JPY138.6bn, while same-store sales fell 5.4% year-on-year.
The company said the drop was mainly because of its strong focus on spring inventory, which hurt sales of inter-season garments, coupled with cooler weather dampening sales of summer clothing.
As a result, the Japanese retail giant has reduced its operating income forecast for Uniqlo Japan by 1.6% to JPY104.5bn.
However, sales for Uniqlo International reached JPY37.7bn, up 61.1% year-on-year, while operating income increased 19.8% to JPY2.1bn. For the global brands division, net sales increased 33.8% to JPY41bn for the three months, while operating income reached JPY5.5bn, surging 97.2%.
Overall, net income for the three months to the end of May grew 25.5% year-on-year to JPY14.7bn. Operating income reached JPY27.5bn, up 22.5% year-on-year, while sales jumped 12% to JPY218bn.
For the nine months to the end of May, net income reached JPY72.5bn. Operating income jumped 14.1% to JPY119.3bn, while sales were up 14% to JPY43.5bn.
Faced with continuing challenging trading conditions in 2012, retailers responded with a number of different strategies to try to grow their businesses. International expansion, new and larger format ...
Among the industry executives who spoke with just-style this year were Ranjan Mahtani, CEO of Epic Group; Henry Tan, CEO of Luen Thai Holdings; Andrew Lo, CEO of Crystal Group; and Marks & Spencer's K...
Fast Retailing's low priced clothing retailer G.U. plans to reduce the proportion of product it sources from China. ...
South Korean apparel conglomerate E-Land Group has set its sights on annual sales of KRW10tn (US$9.32bn) in China by 2016, according to local press reports....
Fashion retailer H&M Hennes & Mauritz is set to launch a clothing recycling scheme which will encourage consumers to hand in used garments at H&M stores worldwide to be reused or recycled....
Fast Retailing, which operates the Uniqlo brand, is to acquire a majority stake in fashion firm J Brand as it looks to strengthen its position in the US....
- 2014: Year in review - Sourcing winners and losers
- COMMENT: The decline of the buying office
- 2014: Year in review - Brand winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Retail winners and losers
- Vietnam factories face fire safety challenge
- Report urges overhaul of Cambodia factory safety
- Triumph recalls 22,000 bras for underwire fault
- Wage theft of migrants in Thai apparel industry
- Investigation uncovers China's dog leather trade
- Vietnam “promise” for Italy textile machinery