JAPAN: Fast Retailing cuts FY view as Uniqlo sales slump
- Uniqlo Japan sales down 1% to JPY138.6bn
- Same store sales fell 5.4% year-on-year
- FY operating outlook lowered 1.6%
Operating income for Uniqlo Japan was down 1.2% to JPY20.4bn (US$256.1bn) for the three months to the end of May. Sales declined 1% year-on-year to JPY138.6bn, while same-store sales fell 5.4% year-on-year.
The company said the drop was mainly because of its strong focus on spring inventory, which hurt sales of inter-season garments, coupled with cooler weather dampening sales of summer clothing.
As a result, the Japanese retail giant has reduced its operating income forecast for Uniqlo Japan by 1.6% to JPY104.5bn.
However, sales for Uniqlo International reached JPY37.7bn, up 61.1% year-on-year, while operating income increased 19.8% to JPY2.1bn. For the global brands division, net sales increased 33.8% to JPY41bn for the three months, while operating income reached JPY5.5bn, surging 97.2%.
Overall, net income for the three months to the end of May grew 25.5% year-on-year to JPY14.7bn. Operating income reached JPY27.5bn, up 22.5% year-on-year, while sales jumped 12% to JPY218bn.
For the nine months to the end of May, net income reached JPY72.5bn. Operating income jumped 14.1% to JPY119.3bn, while sales were up 14% to JPY43.5bn.
Faced with continuing challenging trading conditions in 2012, retailers responded with a number of different strategies to try to grow their businesses. International expansion, new and larger format ...
Among the industry executives who spoke with just-style this year were Ranjan Mahtani, CEO of Epic Group; Henry Tan, CEO of Luen Thai Holdings; Andrew Lo, CEO of Crystal Group; and Marks & Spencer's K...
Fast Retailing's low priced clothing retailer G.U. plans to reduce the proportion of product it sources from China. ...
South Korean apparel conglomerate E-Land Group has set its sights on annual sales of KRW10tn (US$9.32bn) in China by 2016, according to local press reports....
Fashion retailer H&M Hennes & Mauritz is set to launch a clothing recycling scheme which will encourage consumers to hand in used garments at H&M stores worldwide to be reused or recycled....
Fast Retailing, which operates the Uniqlo brand, is to acquire a majority stake in fashion firm J Brand as it looks to strengthen its position in the US....
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- No simple way to be sustainable, says SAC CEO
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- Li & Fung eyes supply chain speed in 3-year plan
- Zara USA faces US$5m deceptive pricing lawsuit
- EU clothing imports from China continue to plunge
- Nike and Crystal Group "doing well by doing good"
- EU relaxes origin rules on Jordan clothing exports
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras