JAPAN: Fast Retailing expects sales to break JPY1trn barrier in 2013
The company says it expects sales over the year ending August 2013 to expand 13.7% to JPY1.056trn, with operating income expected to increase 13.5% to JPY143.5bn and net income to increase 17.9% to JPY84.5bn.
It expects Uniqlo Japan to generates sales and income growth over the year, while its international operations are expected to generate significant growth as the store network in Asia is actively expanded and losses in the US are reduced. It also expects the g.u. And Theory brands to continue to offer strong contributions.
The forecast came as the company recorded a 31.8% increase in net income over the year ended 1 August to reach JPY71.6bn. Over the year, sales increased 13.2% to reach JPY928.6bn.
Uniqlo Japan saw operating income decline 3.6% to JPY102.bn, as net sales rose 3.3% to JPY620bn.
In Japan, the company said same-store sales fell 4.3% in the second half after spring garment sales suffered during the inter-season period from March to May from an overly narrow inventory and persistently cool weather through mid-July. Rising raw material costs and factory processing fees hit the division's gross margin and a sell-off of summer inventory dampened profitability in the second half, the group admitted.
The group's international Uniqlo operations saw operating income rise 22.9% to JPY10.9bn on a 63.4% sales increase to JPY153.1bn.
The company said the loss reported by its US operations expanded as sales at the three New York stores proved soft and leading investment was channelled into the flagship stores for brand building purposes.
Meanwhile, its branded division saw operating income jump 65.4% to JPY14.5bn as sales rose 23.3% to JPY153bn.
Generally, 2013 is seen as being another challenging year for the apparel industry - although there is cautious optimism for an improved business environment. Issues such as compliance, sustainability...
Menswear in South Korea industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains desc...
Opportunities the apparel industry should focus on this year include developing strategic relationships to improve flexibility across the supply chain; a focus on adding value through design, innovati...
Menswear in China industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains descriptio...
What should apparel firms have learnt from the upheaval of the past couple of years - and what should they be doing now if they want to remain competitive into the future? They need to remain nimble e...
Apparel Retail in Asia-Pacific industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contai...
Apparel sales in the Asia Pacific region are continuing on a golden growth trajectory despite a slowdown in China. Domestic brands are continuing to hold their own, and foreign brands intent on making...
Apparel Retail in China industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains desc...
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Change management key to PLM project success
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies