CHINA: Fast Retailing sets up unit to drive Uniqlo growth
Japanese retail giant Fast Retailing Co is to set up a subsidiary company in China to oversee its "aggressive" expansion plans in the country.
The announcement comes after the retailer last month said it planned to open 62 stores in China during its current financial year, taking its store count there to 142 stores by the end of August.
Describing the expansion of the Uniqlo store network in China as "one of the most significant business challenges facing Fast Retailing at present," the company today (17 May) said it plans to invest US$35m in Fast Retailing (Shanghai) Apparel Co.
The push to roll-out global stores comes after Fast Retailing said it wants to reach global sales of JPY5 trillion ($59.5bn) by 2020 and become the biggest clothing retailer in the world within the next decade.
There are currently more than 800 Uniqlo stores in Japan, and 234 international stores.
The growth in outsourcing has been the most important trend in the clothing and textile sector in the past decade, with emerging market countries offering increasingly reliable and sophisticated servi...
Asia is the driving force behind the global apparel market from a supply perspective, and accounts for around 70% of total global apparel exports. However, the market has struggled through tough times...
Fast Retailing's Uniqlo and Theory brands have teamed up to design and manufacture a collection of down jackets and vests for men and women....
Japanese casual clothing retailer Uniqlo has today (2 November) blamed a fall in October same-store sales on persistently warm weather, which stifled demand for autumn and winter garments....
Fast Retailing, which operates the Uniqlo brand, has said it expects sales to top JPY1trn in 2013 as it continues to grow aggressively outside of its Japanese home market. ...
Japanese retailer Fast Retailing has revealed it will open its first multi-brand department store in Tokyo next month....
A slow start to the autumn and winter season pushed Japanese casual clothing retailer Uniqlo to a 2.4% fall in September same-store sales....
Japanese retailer Fast Retailing has no intention of slowing the expansion of its Uniqlo casual clothing brand in China, despite anti-Japanese demonstrations last week. ...
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy