CHINA: Fast Retailing sets up unit to drive Uniqlo growth
Japanese retail giant Fast Retailing Co is to set up a subsidiary company in China to oversee its "aggressive" expansion plans in the country.
The announcement comes after the retailer last month said it planned to open 62 stores in China during its current financial year, taking its store count there to 142 stores by the end of August.
Describing the expansion of the Uniqlo store network in China as "one of the most significant business challenges facing Fast Retailing at present," the company today (17 May) said it plans to invest US$35m in Fast Retailing (Shanghai) Apparel Co.
The push to roll-out global stores comes after Fast Retailing said it wants to reach global sales of JPY5 trillion ($59.5bn) by 2020 and become the biggest clothing retailer in the world within the next decade.
There are currently more than 800 Uniqlo stores in Japan, and 234 international stores.
The growth in outsourcing has been the most important trend in the clothing and textile sector in the past decade, with emerging market countries offering increasingly reliable and sophisticated servi...
Fast Retailing's Uniqlo and Theory brands have teamed up to design and manufacture a collection of down jackets and vests for men and women....
Japanese casual clothing retailer Uniqlo has today (2 November) blamed a fall in October same-store sales on persistently warm weather, which stifled demand for autumn and winter garments....
Fast Retailing, which operates the Uniqlo brand, has said it expects sales to top JPY1trn in 2013 as it continues to grow aggressively outside of its Japanese home market. ...
Japanese retailer Fast Retailing has revealed it will open its first multi-brand department store in Tokyo next month....
A slow start to the autumn and winter season pushed Japanese casual clothing retailer Uniqlo to a 2.4% fall in September same-store sales....
Japanese retailer Fast Retailing has no intention of slowing the expansion of its Uniqlo casual clothing brand in China, despite anti-Japanese demonstrations last week. ...
Japanese retail giant Fast Retailing Co has shuttered nearly one-third of its Uniqlo casual clothing stores in China following anti-Japan demonstrations in the wake of a diplomatic dispute between Asi...
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- C&A building brand loyalty through consistent fit
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015