CHINA: Fast Retailing to push ahead with Chinese expansion
Founder and CEO Tadashi Yanai said China, which is similar to other markets in Asia, provide plenty of opportunity for businesses to grow in the region, using the term "gold rush" to refer to the growth at a Toray Industries and Uniqlo joint press conference on Tuesday (26 September).
Yanai added that the company aims to open 100 new stores in China annually and said the situation in China today is "business as usual".
Fast Retailing shuttered nearly one-third of its Uniqlo stores in China, following anti-Japanese demonstrations after a diplomatic dispute over a group of islands in the East China Sea last week.
The retailer closed 42 of its 145 Chinese stores and told 200 Japanese employees to stay at home.
Generally, 2013 is seen as being another challenging year for the apparel industry - although there is cautious optimism for an improved business environment. Issues such as compliance, sustainability...
Opportunities the apparel industry should focus on this year include developing strategic relationships to improve flexibility across the supply chain; a focus on adding value through design, innovati...
What should apparel firms have learnt from the upheaval of the past couple of years - and what should they be doing now if they want to remain competitive into the future? They need to remain nimble e...
Uncertainty is perhaps the biggest challenge facing the apparel industry in 2013. The economic situation in Europe and the US, a combination of rising production costs and flat prices, the pressure to...
Two campaigns carried out over the past two years by two groups of activists have achieved very different results. Whereas Greenpeace has successfully corralled major brands and retailers into its Det...
Casual clothing retailer Uniqlo has booked a 9.6% increase in Japanese same-store sales in February, driven by strong sales of winter apparel....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has remained coy on reports Japanese retail giant Fast Retailing has expressed interest in buying the company....
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Responsible apparel sourcing requires teamwork
- New JC Penney CEO “credible but no solution”
- UPDATE: A&F appoints Horowitz to head Hollister
- H&M calls for annual wage reviews in Bangladesh
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- Cambodia garment workers campaign for higher wages
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020