USA: Federated Posts Q3 Loss After Fingerhut Charges
Federated Department Stores Inc, parent company of Macy's and Bloomingdales, on Wednesday reported a huge loss for the third quarter, hurt by after sluggish sales and problems at its Fingerhut catalog business.Excluding these charges, however, Cincinnati-based Federated reported earnings that beat consensus estimates for the quarter, posting a per share profit of 26 cents, well above the 20 cents a share Wall Street analysts had been expecting.The net loss for the quarter was $668m, or $3.32 a share, including $795m in charges associated with the company's previously announced restructuring of its Fingerhut direct-to-consumer business. That compared with net income of $123m, or 59 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter.Sales for the quarter rose 1.4 per cent to $4.2bn from $4.14bn a year-ago. Same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least one year, rose 1.9 per cent for the quarter. Shares of Federated, which reported its earnings prior to the market open, closed at $34-7/16 on Tuesday.(C) Reuters Limited 2000.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020