USA: Federated Posts Q3 Loss After Fingerhut Charges
Federated Department Stores Inc, parent company of Macy's and Bloomingdales, on Wednesday reported a huge loss for the third quarter, hurt by after sluggish sales and problems at its Fingerhut catalog business.Excluding these charges, however, Cincinnati-based Federated reported earnings that beat consensus estimates for the quarter, posting a per share profit of 26 cents, well above the 20 cents a share Wall Street analysts had been expecting.The net loss for the quarter was $668m, or $3.32 a share, including $795m in charges associated with the company's previously announced restructuring of its Fingerhut direct-to-consumer business. That compared with net income of $123m, or 59 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter.Sales for the quarter rose 1.4 per cent to $4.2bn from $4.14bn a year-ago. Same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least one year, rose 1.9 per cent for the quarter. Shares of Federated, which reported its earnings prior to the market open, closed at $34-7/16 on Tuesday.(C) Reuters Limited 2000.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar