USA: Federated Posts Q3 Loss After Fingerhut Charges
Federated Department Stores Inc, parent company of Macy's and Bloomingdales, on Wednesday reported a huge loss for the third quarter, hurt by after sluggish sales and problems at its Fingerhut catalog business.Excluding these charges, however, Cincinnati-based Federated reported earnings that beat consensus estimates for the quarter, posting a per share profit of 26 cents, well above the 20 cents a share Wall Street analysts had been expecting.The net loss for the quarter was $668m, or $3.32 a share, including $795m in charges associated with the company's previously announced restructuring of its Fingerhut direct-to-consumer business. That compared with net income of $123m, or 59 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter.Sales for the quarter rose 1.4 per cent to $4.2bn from $4.14bn a year-ago. Same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least one year, rose 1.9 per cent for the quarter. Shares of Federated, which reported its earnings prior to the market open, closed at $34-7/16 on Tuesday.(C) Reuters Limited 2000.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- North Face parka features synthetic spider silk
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack