CHINA: Fibre And Textile Firms Grow Fast In First Half
Despite reports of fibre and textile manufacturers in Japan, Korea and Taiwan reducing their production, producers in China are proving to be the exception to the trend, Woolmark reported last week.In the first half of 2000, according to JTN Weekly, Chinese textile and fibre production increased substantially in most textile and fibre sectors, the highlight of which was a 16.9 per cent year on year growth for man-made fibres. The article based on information from the Chinese State Industry Bureau also indicates that synthetic fibre production reached 2.9 million tons in the first six months of 2000, an increase of 16.4 per cent compared to the first half of 1999. In a further split, nylon fibre grew by 6.5 per cent to just under 170,000 tons and polyester fibre rose to 2.36 million tons, a 16.3 per cent increase. However the largest leap in percentage terms was acrylic fibre for which production has grown by 27.7 per cent compared to 1999, reaching 226,666 tons.Further down the pipeline, cotton and wool fabrics have also had a good start to 2000. Compared to the same period in 1999, cotton fabric and cotton blend fabric production jumped 17.7 per cent and 10.0 per cent respectively to account for 4.9 billion square metres and 2.7 billion square metres between January and June 2000. Wool fabric production for the first six months rose by 6.1 per cent compared to the same period in 1999 to reach 121.13 million sq m of fabric.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts