US: Finish Line stumbles to FY loss on Genesco expenses
The US company's sales for the fourth quarter ended 1 March were down 10% to $382.8m, while comparable store sales dipped 6%.
But it was more than $80m in expenses related to Genesco litigation that sent The Finish Line to a $38.6m loss, compared to a profit of $25.8m for the same period last year.
Full-year sales at the sportswear specialist were down 4.1% to $1.28bn, and comparable store sales also fell, by 4.7%.
The net loss of $48.1m compared to a profit of $40.3m in the last fiscal year.
"Our fourth quarter sales reflected the challenging environment for retail in general," said Alan Cohen, The Finish Line chairman and CEO.
"In The Finish Line stores we did not meet our sales expectations, but did drive higher product margins and ended the year with inventory down 4% on a per square foot basis."
The Finish Line and Genesco announced that the companies' possible merger was definitively off earlier this month, with the settling of all related litigation.
The choice between fight and flight is taking on a new meaning in the sporting goods sector. Brands are soaring by exploiting new opportunities in emerging markets, while a subsequent fight for remain...
Sportswear retailer The Finish Line nearly doubled its second quarter profit to US$13.2m after like-for-like sales rose 4.7% on the same period last year....
Apparel retailer Dress Barn Inc has reported a 34.2% drop in fourth quarter profit, but said it is tackling the "challenging retail environment" through strong inventory controls to reduce markdowns a...
Claire's Stores posted second quarter EBITDA of US$58.1m, down 9.6% on last year's figures....
Retailer Bakers Footwear Group Inc has narrowed its second quarter loss after posting higher sales and stronger margins....
Improved gross margins helped drive fashion retailer Le Chateau to a 55.6% hike in second quarter profits, making up for the company's poor first quarter performance....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' August 2008 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Footwear and hat retailer Genesco posted a wider second quarter loss of US$10.3m thanks mainly to tax liabilities linked to its failed merger with fellow retailer The Finish Line....
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Apparel industry not immune from Russia tensions
- US apparel import data shows China competitiveness
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Cotton prices set to slip on China policy change
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey