ITALY: Finishing Forecast From Moda In
Tipped as particularly important for the creation of textured effects, ranging from lacy cut-outs to seersucker-like puckered surfaces, are the latest generation of Japanese made water-soluble yarns which simply disappear when the completed fabric is washed as the final stage of the manufacturing process.
Post weaving or knitting wash treatments are also used to produce mellow tones similar to sun-faded shades. In printed fabrics the same effect is achieved by the simple expedient of using the reverse side of the print as the fabric face.
Other regularly employed finishing techniques include resign soaking, most often employed where the garment manufacturer wants to create the impression of a raw edge but without risk of fraying, and the use of polyurethane coatings which incorporate glitter dust-like metal or reflective fragments.
Meanwhile the fashion for marrying fibres with different, often diametrically opposed, properties in the same fabric continues to gather momentum as in the case of basket weave textured tweeds composed of blends of cashmere and hemp.
By Sonia Roberts
Companies: Deckers Outdoor Corporation
As the textile trade war between China and the West continues to rage following the abolition of quotas at the end of 2004, one well-prepared company in the Gulf States is quietly making massive inroa...
From Namibia to Bangladesh, quota abolition is stimulating businesses to run themselves better. And buyers looking for sophisticated, responsive, efficient suppliers are getting a wider and wider choi...
Style, fashion and brand image all capture the imagination of consumers shopping for value in apparel items. However, increasing the product mix to ramp up market share can also lead to operational lo...
Feet are going to be warm and cosy next winter. Fur, both real and synthetic, was all around at the latest GDS shoe fair in Germany, on the inside and outside of shoes as well as boots, writes Penny L...
However important and serious the problems coming from quota abolition might be, there's no evidence they're urgent, says Mike Flanagan. Governments do most damage when they act in haste: the most imp...
A Product Design student at Nottingham Trent University has invented a shoe that can be worn in either a high-heeled or flat position due to its detachable heel....
Footwear group Deckers Outdoor Corporation has revised its sales and earnings guidance for the second quarter and full 2005 financial year, due to unfavourable weather affecting the Teva business....
Belgian designer Raf Simons has been named as fashion label Jil Sander's new creative director, ending months of speculation over who will replace the label's founder. ...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack