Fire sweeps through Gap distribution centre
A massive blaze has swept through US apparel giant Gap Inc's Fishkill distribution centre in New York City.
According to local media reports, the 990,000 sq ft warehouse caught fire on Monday (29 August) with firefighters continuing to tackle the flames into Tuesday morning.
The report in The Poughkeepsie Journal claims despite the centre suffering "significant damage", all of the 100 employers who were on the site at the time are safe and accounted for.
The cause of the fire is now being investigated by federal, state and local investigators, while questions remain about what will happen to the 600 employees at the now closed facility.
The company did not respond to just-style when asked for comment.
Gap recently posted a fall in sales in its second-quarter, with US revenue declines worse than last year, weighed down by a heavy fall in sales at its Banana Republic brand.
Foreign currency fluctuations negatively impacted earnings for the US speciality clothing retailer in the three months to the end of July, which slumped to US$125m from $219m a year earlier.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
This report analyses some of the latest developments and innovations in the global apparel industry, including: apparel manufacturing techniques; denim fabrics; environmentally sustainable dyes; fabri...
Gap Inc, the US-based brand operator of apparel brands including Gap, Old Navy and Banana Republic, is struggling to compete with fast fashion players. Still heavily dependent on the US, the company i...
Children's apparel retailer Gymboree Corp is understood to be preparing for bankruptcy in the face of its looming 1 June interest payment....
Children's apparel retailer Gymboree Corp reported a net loss of US$324.9m in the second quarter, with charges including a $11.6m cost related to excess inventories to blame....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- US Q1 in brief – Steve Madden, Skechers
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts