VIETNAM: First-half exports fall short on annual targets
Vietnam earned US$4bn from textile and apparel exports in the first half of 2008, representing a 17.7% increase on last year but equivalent to just 42.9% of fiscal year targets.
The Vietnamese Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT) said the figure for June alone was $780m, up 8.3% on May.
This growth was attributed to buoyant exports to the US market where business resurged after the Department of Commerce decided Vietnamese textile and garment products were not being dumped.
In addition, the weak Vietnamese currency helped exports to both the EU and the US capitalise on the slowdown from China.
Vietnamese Deputy Minister of Industry and Trade, Bui Xua Khu, is currently on a ten-day mission to the US with a delegation of Vietnamese textile and apparel industry representatives in a bid to boost trade between the two countries.
By Ngo Tuan.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Vietnam became the number two supplier of apparel to the US in the first four months of 2008, according to a new report. Just a year earlier, Vietnam had ranked as low as fifth. This growth comes desp...
Amid the welter of articles looking ahead at trade and business prospects for 2009, three issues dominate the apparel industry. Will anyone stop the slowdown in Western clothing markets? Will the coll...
EU regulations that came into force last June require clothing manufacturers and importers to identify and quantify the chemicals used in their products. But companies only have until 1 December to co...
Latvia's textile and clothing industry has been hit hard by the recent reversal of the country's economic fortunes, as competitors in this labour intensive sector either close down or move production ...
The leaders of textile and apparel trade groups in the EU and Brazil have pledged to work together to expand trade and investment between the two regions....
The European Commission (EC) this week said 16 countries, including Sri Lanka, have qualified for the GSP+ scheme that will allow duty-free exports into the EU from 2009 to 2011....
The European Union (EU) Council of Ministers has approved a proposed expansion of the textiles and clothing agreement between the EU and Belarus....
Exports of textiles and garments from China rose by 8.6% year-on-year to $153.68bn in the first ten months of 2008 according to the latest figures from the General Administration of Customs....
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016