UK: Foil Finished Fabrics To The Fore At Welbeck
Translucent foil finishes are the latest innovation from Welbeck Fabrics. The treatment can be applied to a variety of synthetic fibres, though at their recent launch the company chose to use as the base fabric a blend of 84 per cent micro-polyester and 16 per cent Lycra to create a 160g, 130cm wide knitted fabric which was then made into a sweater style top. It believes the most important outlet for this process will be manufacturers servicing the club and evening wear markets, and the fact that the foil-finished fabrics have to be hand-washed and then conventionally dried will not inhibit their appeal. Finishes are very much to the fore throughout the latest Welbeck range. From a purely fashion point of view, crushed, creased and crinkled surfaces now vie for attention with colour change and "shot" effects. On the functional front, in addition to water and soil resistant treatments, processes that permanently impregnate fabric either with fragrance or with agents that moisturize the skin of the wearer, and which were introduced experimentally last season, are now moving into a commercially viable phase, says Welbeck. The most obvious target for fragranced fabrics is women's underwear. Interestingly, however, one of the first "serious" export inquiries to date has come not from the lingerie trade but from a leading European manufacturer of men's underwear.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective