US: Foot Locker cuts spending after $126m Q4 loss
Sports retailer Foot Locker is trimming its capital spending after slipping to a fourth quarter loss of US$126m, thanks to one-off charges and falling sales.
Including a $9m downward income tax adjustment to last year's figures, the loss for the three months to 31 January compared to a profit of $72m for the same period last year.
However, Foot Locker pointed out that underlying income - excluding the charges - was $38m, versus $24m last year.
Fourth quarter sales fell 11.1% to $1.317bn, with comparable store sales down 7.3%.
"Our fourth quarter sales reflected a very challenging external environment, as consumer spending weakened and mall traffic declined," said chairman and CEO Matthew D Serra.
For the full year, Foot Locker posted a net loss of $81m, compared to last year's profit of $38m.
Excluding charges, underlying income was $104m, versus $55m last year. Sales fell 3.7% to $5.237bn, while comparable store sales declined 3.2%.
Responding to what it termed "the challenging external environment", Foot Locker is cutting its 2009 capital spending to $100m, also reducing operating expenses and merchandise inventory purchases.
"We believe that planning our business conservatively is the most appropriate strategy for 2009, given the weak economic conditions that currently exist in the global marketplace," said Serra.
Foot Locker gave no earnings guidance for 2009, citing economic uncertainty.
Apparel group Guess? posted a 10.6% rise in second quarter profits to US$59.6m, thanks to a revenue surge from the company's expanding European operations....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' August 2009 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Collective Brands has seen a fall in its second quarter sales. However, net earnings were up on a favourable comparison to the same period last year when the company took a hit on litigation costs....
A focus on unique products and seasonal must-haves, along with careful control of costs and inventory, have helped apparel retailer J Crew Group Inc to better-than-expected second quarter results....
Shoe and headwear retailer Genesco Inc has managed to narrow its second quarter loss, even though it took a hit from asset impairments and sales "remained choppy" at all its store formats....
Footwear operator Brown Shoe Company slipped to a second quarter net loss of US$4.2m after sales slumped 10.1% to $511.6m in the three months to 1 August....
Specialist women's wear retailer Coldwater Creek recorded a 58% rise in its second quarter net loss to US$4.9m, hurt by a double-digit decline in comparable store sales....
Second quarter profit at DSW Inc has plunged 31% on lower sales, but the branded footwear retailer still managed to lift its earnings guidance for the year....
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Apparel industry gains traction says IAF chief
- Performance apparel set for continued growth
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Sears Holdings cuts 115 corporate jobs
- H&M Q4 mixed but plans 400 new stores
- JC Penney to close 10 Foundry stores
- UK clothing sales see strongest rise in two years
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead