US: Foot Locker skids on Q1 guidance reduction
Shares of Foot Locker dropped more than 10% in after-hours trading Thursday (10 May) after the athletic specialty retailer sharply cut its first quarter earnings projections based on weakness in its US stores.
Earnings for the just-concluded quarter are now expected to come in at between US$0.10 and $0.11 a diluted share, less than a third of the original estimate of $0.34 to $0.37.
Matthew Serra, chairman and CEO of the New York-based company, said: "The shortfall in our expected earnings primarily reflects a first quarter comparable-store sales decline of 5.1% and additional markdowns taken in our US stores.
"While first quarter sales and earnings at our US store businesses fell short of our expectations, our financial results from our international units were generally in line with our plan with earnings increasing from last year's comparable period."
Foot Locker's shares closed at $23.27, down $0.37 or 1.6%, in Thursday's New York Stock Exchange session prior to the release of the downward revision. They continued to spiral lower in after-hours trading, sinking to $20.84, down $2.43 or 10.4% in comparison to the close of trading. The stock's 52-week low had been $21.10, set on 24 January.
Foot Locker is scheduled to report first quarter results on 23 May and will update guidance for the fiscal year during a conference call the following day.
By Arnold J Karr.
Athletic footwear and apparel retailer Foot Locker Inc has taken delivery of a bioterrorism detection kit at one of its warehouses....
Genesco Inc has demanded that The Finish Line completes its $1.5bn acquisition of the clothing and hat firm after accusing its bankers of trying to get out of the deal....
Athletic shoe and apparel retailer The Finish Line is reconsidering its $1.5bn acquisition of Genesco Inc after the clothing and hat firm posted poor second-quarter results....
Foot Locker, the New York-based specialty athletic retailer, has swung to a second quarter loss after reporting slower sales and higher markdowns as it tried to clear inventory to make way for autumn ...
Athletic retailer Foot Locker has confirmed receiving inquiries from private equity firms as speculation mounts it is up for sale....
Sports Direct International's pre-tax profit fell 37.3% last year as it was hit by a number of exceptional items related to its flotation in February, and current year trading is now being stifled by ...
Athletic retailer Foot Locker is rumoured to be considering a sale once again following a slump in its performance....
Sportswear giant Nike Inc has promoted Craig Zanon as vice president and general manager of Global Basketball, succeeding Larry Miller who recently named team president of the Portland Trail Blazers....
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020