USA: Foot Locker Sued By Ex-Employee Over Anti-Gay Harassment
According to the lawsuit, filed in a state court in South Carolina, 26-year-old Kevin Dunbar faced constant harassment over his sexuality at the hands of co-workers despite Foot Locker's anti-discrimination policy.
Dunbar, the suit alleges, complained to Foot Locker management under the promise that his grievance would be kept confidential.
However, after being transferred from one store to another, Dunbar's new manager allegedly knew of the situation and dismissed him on the grounds of his sexuality.
"When I took a job at Foot Locker, I looked at the policies and took comfort in knowing that the company was fair to gay employees," Dunbar said in a statement released by Lambda Legal, his representative in the suit.
"Since the policies were so clear, I never thought this would happen."
Foot Locker spokesman Bruce Hartman said he was unaware of the lawsuit, but promised his company would not tolerate discrimination.
"Our policy mentions everything," Hartman said.
"It's not just limited to gay people.
"It's not a practice our company would support or encourage."
The suit claims three customers witnessed separate incidents of anti-gay harassment at Foot Locker.
Companies: Foot Locker Inc
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Foot Locker, the New York-based athletic retailer, has seen a fall in full year net income despite a strong end to the year....
Shoe retailer Footstar Inc has had its Chapter 11 reorganisation plan confirmed by the US Bankruptcy Court - and should emerge from bankruptcy on Monday 6 February....
Sports shoe chain Foot Locker has promoted two executives to lead its finance and accounting division, following the resignation of chief financial officer Bruce Hartman, who is moving to another comp...
Sports shoe chain Foot Locker's third-quarter income has been damaged 11 per cent by increased European marketing spending....
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' October sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Sports shoe chain Foot Locker has reported a rise in third-quarter sales, but warned on profit because of hurricane-related expenses....
Sports shoe retailer Foot Locker Inc has suffered a 46 per cent slump in second-quarter profit as good sales on the US market were offset by a lack of demand in Europe....
Specialty athletic retailer Foot Locker Inc has reported a 3.0 per cent rise in second-quarter sales, as a "very disappointing" performance in Europe was offset by improving sales and profit results i...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts