US: Footwear associations urge tariff clarity
The footwear industry is “in a state of flux” thanks to delays in the issuing of guidance over tariffs by US Customs, say four of the sector’s leading associations.
The quartet of bodies, which represent most domestic manufacturers of rubber and plastic footwear as well as footwear importers, include the American Apparel & Footwear Assocation; Footwear Distributors and Retailers of America; the Outdoor Industry Association; and the Rubber & Plastics Footwear Manufacturers Association.
In a joint letter to David Aguilar, acting commissioner of US Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the four urge the immediate issuing of guidance on the “textile outsole” changes to Chapter 64 of the Harmonised Tariff Schedule System of the United States (HTSUS).
The changes came into force nearly a year ago, and the associations have been urging for clarity on the issue since May this year, but they have not yet been given CBP guidance.
“The net result is an industry in a state of flux regarding what has constituted a significant part of the trade,” they write.
“Because guidance has not yet been issued by CBP, we are concerned that there is little or no consistency in the way that importers are classifying the imported items for tariff purposes.”
The consequent confusion is causing “serious concerns” to importers and domestic producers alike, they say.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Supply chain improvements to save Billabong $30m
- Nicaragua apparel and shoe firms to double in size
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- US Q2 in brief: Genesco, Oxford, Sears Canada
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- PVH “well-positioned” in China despite headwinds
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global Sports Footwear Market 2015-2019