US: Footwear associations urge tariff clarity
The footwear industry is “in a state of flux” thanks to delays in the issuing of guidance over tariffs by US Customs, say four of the sector’s leading associations.
The quartet of bodies, which represent most domestic manufacturers of rubber and plastic footwear as well as footwear importers, include the American Apparel & Footwear Assocation; Footwear Distributors and Retailers of America; the Outdoor Industry Association; and the Rubber & Plastics Footwear Manufacturers Association.
In a joint letter to David Aguilar, acting commissioner of US Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the four urge the immediate issuing of guidance on the “textile outsole” changes to Chapter 64 of the Harmonised Tariff Schedule System of the United States (HTSUS).
The changes came into force nearly a year ago, and the associations have been urging for clarity on the issue since May this year, but they have not yet been given CBP guidance.
“The net result is an industry in a state of flux regarding what has constituted a significant part of the trade,” they write.
“Because guidance has not yet been issued by CBP, we are concerned that there is little or no consistency in the way that importers are classifying the imported items for tariff purposes.”
The consequent confusion is causing “serious concerns” to importers and domestic producers alike, they say.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Pakistan textile mills fear rash of closures
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Under Armour secures Germany and Austria deals
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- Bangladesh workers rally for unpaid wages
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020