CHINA: Footwear Exports Hit $10bn In 2001
New figures show China is now the world's largest footwear producer and exporter with its firms churning out more than four billion pairs a year and accounting for around half of all shoes made around the world.
Figures released by customs chiefs on Tuesday reveal China exported more than $10 billion worth of footwear last year, up 2.5 per cent from 2000, as overseas firms took advantage of its low production costs.
Its main export markets were the US, EU, Japan and Hong Kong, but one trade boss expressed concern at low export prices which have been triggered by fierce competition and overcapacity in the market.
He added that the nation's shoe producers need to improve the quality of their goods, upgrade technology, and build their own brands in the international marketplace if they are to remain leading players in the worldwide industry.
Guangdong Province is the largest footwear producing region in China with an annual output of three billion pairs, accounting for one-third of the world's total shoe output.
Companies: Hugo Boss AG
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The ex-boss of collapsed department store chain Allders is in discussions to take over the lead of supermarket giant Tesco's clothing division, according to a report in The Sunday Times newspaper....
German clothing firm Hugo Boss has criticised the Turkish government's tax policy in the country's free trade zones, saying that they have prevented the company from setting up a major production hub ...
Wang Shenyang, Chairman of China Chamber of Commerce for Imports and Exports of Textiles, said that Pakistan and China need to work with each other to boost the development of textiles trade....
Luxury goods giant Hugo Boss AG plans to grow sales from its Boss Woman unit by approximately 30 per cent to almost €90 million this year, chief executive officer Bruno Saelzer told German magazine Eu...
Italian clothing and textiles group Marzotto does not plan any "extraordinary operations" for the Hugo Boss brand, Reuters quoted chairman Antonio Favrin as saying....
Colombian clothing distributor Le Collezioni has agreed a contract with Italian garment maker Loro Piana to exclusively distribute its products in Colombia....
Luxury goods company Hugo Boss AG is planning to grow its shoes and accessories divisions over the coming years in order to capitalise on growing sales in those sectors, Financial Times Deutschland qu...
Fashion and textiles group Marzotto SpA said first-quarter 2005 sales and profits grew on good performances at its Hugo Boss and Valentino clothing units....
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Kohl's, L Brands
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022