US: Footwear firms face conflict minerals confusion
Confusion continues to reign over new rules on the use of “conflict minerals” sourced from central Africa by footwear companies in the US, according to a trade association.
The Footwear Distributors and Retailers of America (FDRA) reports that legal challenges from trade groups against the new SEC rules have failed on all but one count, following a majority decision by the District of Columbia Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
The new rules, enforced in line with the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, require companies to disclose whether rare minerals sourced from war-torn regions in central Africa have been used in the production of their goods.
However, this has proven especially difficult for footwear companies, prompting the legal challenge.
The court rejected most of the associations’ arguments, but ruled that parts of the act and the SEC’s Conflict Minerals Rule violated the First Amendment.
However, the court did not stop the implementation of the Conflicts Mineral Rule, and the implications of its ruling are as yet unclear, said the FDRA.
It advised companies to continue to press on with enquiries on conflict minerals and to be prepared to make disclosures on the matter by the current deadline of 2 June.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details