UK: Footwear Firms Fight Back Despite Fierce Competition
The British Footwear Association (BFA) says that, despite increasing pressure from foreign competitors, the British footwear market is fighting back."British footwear manufacturing continues to experience fierce price pressures and the continuing weakness of the Euro compounds this. Price cutting in the British high street on footwear and clothing is at record levels, and of course suppliers have to pay for the sale discounts. The British safety footwear market has been hit by the decline in overall UK manufacturing and by an inrush of imports at unsustainable prices," said Niall Campbell, chief executive of the BFA."British footwear exports are holding up well and the industry is working harder than ever to win international orders. The British group at GDS this month is a record size - 48 exhibitors - and the contingent at Las Vegas in August was also a record. For the first time, BFA took a group of footwear exporters to Motexha in Dubai in late September and we also have a group at Midec in Paris. "The prospects are good for there being even larger groups at even more overseas shows in 2001. The British footwear industry has great, internationally competitive strengths in certain parts of the market. Britain is producing many of the liveliest and most innovative young footwear designers, and the UK is very strong in the youth/street fashion market. The industry is also doing well in niche markets, such as wedding shoes and high quality children's footwear."Though the industry faces extremely testing competitive pressures, it is more than willing to rise to the challenge," he concluded.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020