INDIA: Footwear industry set for growth spurt
India’s footwear industry will be worth about INR387bn (US$7.85bn) by 2015, nearly doubling its current estimated value of INR220bn, according to industry body ASSOCHAM.
In its report, Indian Footwear Industry: An Analysis, ASSOCHAM – the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India – said the industry currently produces nearly 3bn pairs of shoes a year, exporting 10% of this and accounting for about 15% of global production.
“The domestic footwear market is driven by growing fashion consciousness together with increased disposable income among India’s urban middle class, which contributes about 45% of overall footwear market, making India the second largest global producer of footwear across varied segments after China,” said D S Rawat, ASSOCHAM secretary general.
“Low cost of production, abundant availability of raw material, ever-evolving retail ecosystem, buying patterns and a huge consumption market are certain basic features that sets apart the Indian footwear market.”
The report says that premium footwear brands are making inroads into India’s non-urban market, which has “huge potential” and accounts for about 55% of the total industry.
Meanwhile, the report estimates that the global footwear market will grow at a CAGR of about 5%, reaching about INR12.34trn by 2015.
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Jeans in Italy
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects