INDIA: Footwear industry set for growth spurt
India’s footwear industry will be worth about INR387bn (US$7.85bn) by 2015, nearly doubling its current estimated value of INR220bn, according to industry body ASSOCHAM.
In its report, Indian Footwear Industry: An Analysis, ASSOCHAM – the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India – said the industry currently produces nearly 3bn pairs of shoes a year, exporting 10% of this and accounting for about 15% of global production.
“The domestic footwear market is driven by growing fashion consciousness together with increased disposable income among India’s urban middle class, which contributes about 45% of overall footwear market, making India the second largest global producer of footwear across varied segments after China,” said D S Rawat, ASSOCHAM secretary general.
“Low cost of production, abundant availability of raw material, ever-evolving retail ecosystem, buying patterns and a huge consumption market are certain basic features that sets apart the Indian footwear market.”
The report says that premium footwear brands are making inroads into India’s non-urban market, which has “huge potential” and accounts for about 55% of the total industry.
Meanwhile, the report estimates that the global footwear market will grow at a CAGR of about 5%, reaching about INR12.34trn by 2015.
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- US Q2 in brief - Burlington Stores, Destination XL
- Zara USA faces US$5m deceptive pricing lawsuit
- EU clothing imports from China continue to plunge
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory