INDIA: Footwear industry set for growth spurt
India’s footwear industry will be worth about INR387bn (US$7.85bn) by 2015, nearly doubling its current estimated value of INR220bn, according to industry body ASSOCHAM.
In its report, Indian Footwear Industry: An Analysis, ASSOCHAM – the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India – said the industry currently produces nearly 3bn pairs of shoes a year, exporting 10% of this and accounting for about 15% of global production.
“The domestic footwear market is driven by growing fashion consciousness together with increased disposable income among India’s urban middle class, which contributes about 45% of overall footwear market, making India the second largest global producer of footwear across varied segments after China,” said D S Rawat, ASSOCHAM secretary general.
“Low cost of production, abundant availability of raw material, ever-evolving retail ecosystem, buying patterns and a huge consumption market are certain basic features that sets apart the Indian footwear market.”
The report says that premium footwear brands are making inroads into India’s non-urban market, which has “huge potential” and accounts for about 55% of the total industry.
Meanwhile, the report estimates that the global footwear market will grow at a CAGR of about 5%, reaching about INR12.34trn by 2015.
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015