INDIA: Footwear industry set for growth spurt
India’s footwear industry will be worth about INR387bn (US$7.85bn) by 2015, nearly doubling its current estimated value of INR220bn, according to industry body ASSOCHAM.
In its report, Indian Footwear Industry: An Analysis, ASSOCHAM – the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India – said the industry currently produces nearly 3bn pairs of shoes a year, exporting 10% of this and accounting for about 15% of global production.
“The domestic footwear market is driven by growing fashion consciousness together with increased disposable income among India’s urban middle class, which contributes about 45% of overall footwear market, making India the second largest global producer of footwear across varied segments after China,” said D S Rawat, ASSOCHAM secretary general.
“Low cost of production, abundant availability of raw material, ever-evolving retail ecosystem, buying patterns and a huge consumption market are certain basic features that sets apart the Indian footwear market.”
The report says that premium footwear brands are making inroads into India’s non-urban market, which has “huge potential” and accounts for about 55% of the total industry.
Meanwhile, the report estimates that the global footwear market will grow at a CAGR of about 5%, reaching about INR12.34trn by 2015.
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- New fibre and fabric innovations for outdoor wear
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- US West Coast port contract reached
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide