GERMANY: Footwear Sales Flat, Production In Steady Decline
German retailers' sales of footwear are expected to be flat this year, or slightly higher than 1999, according to the German shoe retailers association, in spite of an 11 per cent decline in sales in June and July.Sales expectations are similar in France, where footwear retail sales were practically flat throughout July, but the summer months showed better scores than in Germany, French shoe sales were down two per cent in June and stable in July, with the independents scoring a little better than the chains.German suppliers suffered a 10 per cent decline in their domestic sales in the first six months of this year. Offsetting a 12.4 sales increase in foreign markets to 29.1 million pairs worth DM1,050m ($460m), this contributed to an eight per cent drop in their total revenues for the period to about DM3bn ($130m).Imports grew in the first half by 3.7 per cent in volume to 162.3 million pairs, and by 9.8 per cent in value to DM3.3bn ($1.5bn). Footwear in Germany dropped by between six and seven per cent in terms of volume during the period, with the number of employees down 6.2 per cent to 16,860. A total of 15 companies have gone out of business since last year.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective