UK: Former Claremont Garments execs to open UK factory
A clothing manufacturer is hoping to capitalise on signs of an apparel trade revival in the UK with the opening of a state-of-the-art textile facility in the north of the country.
The AMA Group, a new venture formed by four former production directors, will begin producing clothing at the East Durham facility from April. The site will manufacture items for high street retailers, supermarkets and designer brands.
Bosses say it will make dresses, skirts, swimwear, jumpers and blouses. Around 100 jobs are expected to be created by the venture, which they say will bring garment-making back to the region.
"The move is a major boost to County Durham's employment landscape, which once boasted a plethora of clothing makers, including Astraka, Sara Lee Courtaulds, Dewhirst and Ramar," according to Business Durham, which has helped in the process.
Co-founder and former Claremont Garments director Julie Price added: "I genuinely believe we can lead the revival of the industry, not just in East Durham but the north-east as a whole.
"The clothing manufacturing sector was at the heart of north-east industry for many years and was particularly prominent in East Durham. But when retailers started looking overseas to make their products in a bid to reduce costs, the sector sadly declined and eventually became virtually non-existent."
Click here to read further insight into what the industry has to say about bringing mass-market garment production back to the UK.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- PVH to take control of Tommy Hilfiger China unit
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024