UK: Former Claremont Garments execs to open UK factory
A clothing manufacturer is hoping to capitalise on signs of an apparel trade revival in the UK with the opening of a state-of-the-art textile facility in the north of the country.
The AMA Group, a new venture formed by four former production directors, will begin producing clothing at the East Durham facility from April. The site will manufacture items for high street retailers, supermarkets and designer brands.
Bosses say it will make dresses, skirts, swimwear, jumpers and blouses. Around 100 jobs are expected to be created by the venture, which they say will bring garment-making back to the region.
"The move is a major boost to County Durham's employment landscape, which once boasted a plethora of clothing makers, including Astraka, Sara Lee Courtaulds, Dewhirst and Ramar," according to Business Durham, which has helped in the process.
Co-founder and former Claremont Garments director Julie Price added: "I genuinely believe we can lead the revival of the industry, not just in East Durham but the north-east as a whole.
"The clothing manufacturing sector was at the heart of north-east industry for many years and was particularly prominent in East Durham. But when retailers started looking overseas to make their products in a bid to reduce costs, the sector sadly declined and eventually became virtually non-existent."
Click here to read further insight into what the industry has to say about bringing mass-market garment production back to the UK.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- US apparel retailers' August 2014 sales roundup
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details