UK: Former Claremont Garments execs to open UK factory
A clothing manufacturer is hoping to capitalise on signs of an apparel trade revival in the UK with the opening of a state-of-the-art textile facility in the north of the country.
The AMA Group, a new venture formed by four former production directors, will begin producing clothing at the East Durham facility from April. The site will manufacture items for high street retailers, supermarkets and designer brands.
Bosses say it will make dresses, skirts, swimwear, jumpers and blouses. Around 100 jobs are expected to be created by the venture, which they say will bring garment-making back to the region.
"The move is a major boost to County Durham's employment landscape, which once boasted a plethora of clothing makers, including Astraka, Sara Lee Courtaulds, Dewhirst and Ramar," according to Business Durham, which has helped in the process.
Co-founder and former Claremont Garments director Julie Price added: "I genuinely believe we can lead the revival of the industry, not just in East Durham but the north-east as a whole.
"The clothing manufacturing sector was at the heart of north-east industry for many years and was particularly prominent in East Durham. But when retailers started looking overseas to make their products in a bid to reduce costs, the sector sadly declined and eventually became virtually non-existent."
Click here to read further insight into what the industry has to say about bringing mass-market garment production back to the UK.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis