UK: Former Claremont Garments execs to open UK factory
A clothing manufacturer is hoping to capitalise on signs of an apparel trade revival in the UK with the opening of a state-of-the-art textile facility in the north of the country.
The AMA Group, a new venture formed by four former production directors, will begin producing clothing at the East Durham facility from April. The site will manufacture items for high street retailers, supermarkets and designer brands.
Bosses say it will make dresses, skirts, swimwear, jumpers and blouses. Around 100 jobs are expected to be created by the venture, which they say will bring garment-making back to the region.
"The move is a major boost to County Durham's employment landscape, which once boasted a plethora of clothing makers, including Astraka, Sara Lee Courtaulds, Dewhirst and Ramar," according to Business Durham, which has helped in the process.
Co-founder and former Claremont Garments director Julie Price added: "I genuinely believe we can lead the revival of the industry, not just in East Durham but the north-east as a whole.
"The clothing manufacturing sector was at the heart of north-east industry for many years and was particularly prominent in East Durham. But when retailers started looking overseas to make their products in a bid to reduce costs, the sector sadly declined and eventually became virtually non-existent."
Click here to read further insight into what the industry has to say about bringing mass-market garment production back to the UK.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)