UK: Former Claremont Garments execs to open UK factory
A clothing manufacturer is hoping to capitalise on signs of an apparel trade revival in the UK with the opening of a state-of-the-art textile facility in the north of the country.
The AMA Group, a new venture formed by four former production directors, will begin producing clothing at the East Durham facility from April. The site will manufacture items for high street retailers, supermarkets and designer brands.
Bosses say it will make dresses, skirts, swimwear, jumpers and blouses. Around 100 jobs are expected to be created by the venture, which they say will bring garment-making back to the region.
"The move is a major boost to County Durham's employment landscape, which once boasted a plethora of clothing makers, including Astraka, Sara Lee Courtaulds, Dewhirst and Ramar," according to Business Durham, which has helped in the process.
Co-founder and former Claremont Garments director Julie Price added: "I genuinely believe we can lead the revival of the industry, not just in East Durham but the north-east as a whole.
"The clothing manufacturing sector was at the heart of north-east industry for many years and was particularly prominent in East Durham. But when retailers started looking overseas to make their products in a bid to reduce costs, the sector sadly declined and eventually became virtually non-existent."
Click here to read further insight into what the industry has to say about bringing mass-market garment production back to the UK.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Overcapacity in China could reshape fibre markets
- What does supply chain mapping really mean?
- PVH ramps up corporate responsibility commitments
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- US Q2 in brief - Chico's, Caleres, G-III Apparel
- Nike and Crystal Group "doing well by doing good"
- Nike and Under Armour top social currency chart
- Cambodia’s focus on garment production also a risk
- C&A helps grow organic cotton production in China
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Trade and trade policy: the EU clothing import market and its ten largest supplying countries, 2016