US: Former JC Penney merchandising exec joins Gap
Michael Francis, the marketing and merchandising executive who left JC Penney Company in June after just eight months at the department store retailer, is to join fashion retail giant Gap Inc as marketing creative advisor.
Francis, who was one of the first executives brought in to help drive the overhaul of JC Penney, will provide "guidance and support" to Gap Inc's marketing teams across the company.
One of his first roles will be to strengthen the Old Navy brand, which opened its first international store in Japan in July.
Joining the retailer on 17 September, he will spend two weeks a month in San Francisco.
"With nearly 30 years experience, Michael is among the most accomplished marketing executives in retail," Gap said in a statement today (13 September).
"He'll bring his talent, out-of-the-box thinking and his passion around mentoring others to support our business and all of our marketing organisations."
Francis, joined joined JC Penney from Target, and was responsible for all merchandising, marketing, planning and allocation as well as product development and sourcing.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' February 2013 sales results. It is worth noting that from this month, a number of retailers are no longer reporting their sales res...
Gap is making huge strides in becoming more responsive to what its customers really want, with a new "less is more" philosophy combining with improved speed to market so that it is able to take fewer ...
US department store operator JC Penney has been forced to abandon a central part of its turnaround plans after the strategy failed to gain traction with consumers. ...
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has reported 3% growth in February comparable store sales, driven by an extra week during the month and gains from its acquisition of multi-brand women's wear retai...
US surf wear brand Quiksilver has announced a series of senior management changes as part of efforts to turnaround the business, following the appointment of a new president and CEO in January. ...
US department store operator JC Penney saw fourth quarter net losses widen as the company said sales and traffic fell below expectations amid efforts to turn around the business....
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Delta Galil open to M&A as profit grows
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead