UK: Four Hundred Year-Old Silk Mill To Close At End Of Year
The site in Bourne Road, owned by Silk Industries, is up for sale and its silk finishing business will move to a smaller mill in Adamesley near Macclesfield in Cheshire, within the next six months.
The Crayford mill is the only one still operating in the south-east.
The company is now in talks with Bexley Heritage Trust, which runs nearby Hall Place, about the future of the silk museum which is also housed at the mills.
The shop will continue to sell the spring and summer collections of Irish designer Paul Costelloe and it is expected David Evans could remain on the site for up to 18 months.
A company spokesman said people now preferred to buy cheaper imports from the Far East. Among those said to be interested in buying the site is Sainsbury's.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Finding attractive clothing in larger sizes is still problematic for consumers a new market report has found. But with the UK market for plus-size fashion expected to grow by 6 per cent during 2005 ca...
Retail group Arcadia said it will upgrade its e-commerce platform with a five-year IBM contract....
Sara Lee Branded Apparel has snapped up two of its suppliers in a move aimed at shoring up its global supply chain. The company on Tuesday said it has bought National Textiles LLC, a yarn and textile ...
Environmentally friendly clothing supplier Hemptown Clothing Inc has named Michael Evans vice president of finance with the company, and has reported a 17 per cent second-quarter revenue increase....
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- NRF 2017 – Retail tech launches and developments
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- JC Penney to roll out hundreds of Nike "shops"
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Limited Stores files for bankruptcy protection
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022