UK: French Connection expects FY loss after sales dip
Shares in clothing retailer French Connection dipped by nearly 10% this morning (16 January) after the company revealed disappointing Christmas sales figures.
UK/Europe like-for-like retail sales were down 2.9% in the 24 weeks to 12 January, with the company blaming 1.9% of the decline on its decision to delay its January sale period by a week.
This was done, it said, “to build brand equity”, and French Connection said trading in North America was “broadly in line with expectations” following a similar delay to its sale period there, and in spite of disruption from extreme weather.
The company added that its autumn/winter season in the UK and Europe had started well, but softened in the run-up to Christmas.
French Connection said it expected to report a loss before tax and exceptional items of GBP7.5-8m (US$12-12.8m) in the full year ending 31 January, but added that January was an “important” shipping period for its wholesale business.
The company will report its full-year results on 13 March.
Upmarket UK fashion retailer Nicole Farhi has fallen into administration, with falling high street spending coupled with rising costs blamed for the move....
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Alliance brands "staying the course" in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis