UK: French Connection expects FY loss after sales dip
Shares in clothing retailer French Connection dipped by nearly 10% this morning (16 January) after the company revealed disappointing Christmas sales figures.
UK/Europe like-for-like retail sales were down 2.9% in the 24 weeks to 12 January, with the company blaming 1.9% of the decline on its decision to delay its January sale period by a week.
This was done, it said, “to build brand equity”, and French Connection said trading in North America was “broadly in line with expectations” following a similar delay to its sale period there, and in spite of disruption from extreme weather.
The company added that its autumn/winter season in the UK and Europe had started well, but softened in the run-up to Christmas.
French Connection said it expected to report a loss before tax and exceptional items of GBP7.5-8m (US$12-12.8m) in the full year ending 31 January, but added that January was an “important” shipping period for its wholesale business.
The company will report its full-year results on 13 March.
Upmarket UK fashion retailer Nicole Farhi has fallen into administration, with falling high street spending coupled with rising costs blamed for the move....
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 201...
- Garment firms set sights on Vietnam amid TPP talks
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- Tesco takes second stab at US market with F&F
- Wage strike by Cambodia garment workers falls flat
- Gap to grow China sales to $1bn in three years
- H&M still committed to higher wages and Bangladesh
- Alliance inspections more than 50% complete
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Jeans in Italy
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects