UK: French Connection full-year loss narrows
- FY pre-tax underlying loss of GBP4.4m versus GBP7.2m
- Revenue down 4% to GBP189.4m
- Company remains confident in outlook
Revenue was down 4% on a reduced store portfolio
UK fashion retailer French Connection has narrowed its full-year loss as efforts to turnaround the business continue to gain traction.
The underlying pre-tax loss excluded store closure costs which amounted to GBP1.7m (US$2.8m) in the year to 31 January. After taking this into account, the company's pre-tax loss contracted to GBP6.1m from GBP10.5m the year before.
CEO and chairman Stephen Marks attributed the improvement to a GBP3.8m reduction in operating losses at its retail division. This was driven out of its UK/European business, through enhanced margins, lower underlying labour costs and the closure of nine non-contributing stores.
"We have accomplished a lot in the past year and will build on that momentum to deliver further improvements," he noted.
"We have seen a positive reception to our spring range and whilst there is still much to do, I am confident that we are on the right path and have the right strategy to drive further progress."
Conlumino analyst Liz Faulkner described the results as "encouraging", but warned that the brand will remain weak if its collections are bland.
"As a retailer that has seemed lost for a good few years now, it is encouraging to see the new team at French Connection's helm driving improved efficiency and range development.
"That said, in a fiercely competitive marketplace, French Connection still lacks the necessary differentiation. Continued investment into range development and pricing will be key if the retailer is to develop a more compelling consumer proposition to layer upon its newly improved operational efficiency."
Canadean's "French Connection Group Plc - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major produc...
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 201...
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- PVH to take control of Tommy Hilfiger China unit
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024