UK: French Connection full-year loss narrows
- FY pre-tax underlying loss of GBP4.4m versus GBP7.2m
- Revenue down 4% to GBP189.4m
- Company remains confident in outlook
Revenue was down 4% on a reduced store portfolio
UK fashion retailer French Connection has narrowed its full-year loss as efforts to turnaround the business continue to gain traction.
The underlying pre-tax loss excluded store closure costs which amounted to GBP1.7m (US$2.8m) in the year to 31 January. After taking this into account, the company's pre-tax loss contracted to GBP6.1m from GBP10.5m the year before.
CEO and chairman Stephen Marks attributed the improvement to a GBP3.8m reduction in operating losses at its retail division. This was driven out of its UK/European business, through enhanced margins, lower underlying labour costs and the closure of nine non-contributing stores.
"We have accomplished a lot in the past year and will build on that momentum to deliver further improvements," he noted.
"We have seen a positive reception to our spring range and whilst there is still much to do, I am confident that we are on the right path and have the right strategy to drive further progress."
Conlumino analyst Liz Faulkner described the results as "encouraging", but warned that the brand will remain weak if its collections are bland.
"As a retailer that has seemed lost for a good few years now, it is encouraging to see the new team at French Connection's helm driving improved efficiency and range development.
"That said, in a fiercely competitive marketplace, French Connection still lacks the necessary differentiation. Continued investment into range development and pricing will be key if the retailer is to develop a more compelling consumer proposition to layer upon its newly improved operational efficiency."
Canadean's "French Connection Group Plc - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major produc...
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 201...
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- No simple way to be sustainable, says SAC CEO
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- US Q2 in brief - Sears, Burlington, Tilly's
- Zara USA faces US$5m deceptive pricing lawsuit
- Li & Fung eyes supply chain speed in 3-year plan
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory