UK: French Connection posts H1 loss amid some optimism
Fashion chain French Connection reported a loss in the first six months of the year but said its new clothing lines were now meeting good responses from customers.
The loss of GBP3.6m (US$6.75m), which follows three profit warnings in 18 months, compares with a profit of GBP5.1m during the first half of 2005.
French Connection's six-month turnover was down 6% to GBP111.2m from GBP117.9m a year ago.
Chairman Stephen Marks said: "The challenges we faced during the last financial year have continued to impact trading in the new year.
"It has taken longer than we had hoped to translate the changes we have made in our business into sales growth."
Marks added: "…the strong initial reaction to the new winter collections indicates that our efforts are having an impact.
"We will keep on working to improve our ranges and all operational aspects of our business."
In the three first weeks of the new season, the UK and Europe saw same-store sales grow more than 9%. The company warned that it is too early to assume this will continue.
Wholesale business in North America has enjoyed some good growth while Asian retail joint ventures continue to expand. Total licensing income has fallen, however.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Paul Charron, chief executive officer of Liz Claiborne Inc, believes that clothing suppliers will increasingly move towards a hybrid model where they are both manufacturer and retailer. In an exclusiv...
Fashion footwear firm Global Brand Marketing Inc (GBMI) is reorganising its UK operations to take direct control over wholesale distribution, merchandising and marketing there....
Italian lingerie brand La Perla is to cash in on India's exploding retail market after signing an exclusive deal with Murjani Group....
Upmarket apparel brand Calvin Klein, a wholly owned subsidiary of Phillips-Van Heusen, has entered an exclusive distribution agreement and retail store license for the Indian market....
Fashion chain French Connection's executive chairman Stephen Marks will consider selling his 42% share in the firm when it gets 'back on track', reported the Financial Times....
Investment company FL Group has bought a 5.07% stake in fashion chain French Connection, sparking more rumours of a possible takeover proposal....
High-street fashion retailer French Connection said it is lowering its 2006 predictions after Easter trading proved "difficult" and did not meet its expectations....
Icelandic investment group Baugur has taken up a 9.5% stake in UK department store chain House of Fraser....
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- M&S clothing growth – What the analysts say
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Target leads funding for mobile quality inspection
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar