US: Fruit of the Loom to cut 600 jobs with plant closure
Apparel manufacturer Fruit of the Loom is to lay off more than 600 workers with the closure of its facility in Jamestown, Kentucky.
The move, which will affect 601 employees, is part of the company's "ongoing efforts to align its global supply chain" to enable it to "leverage existing investments and meet customer requirements more timely and cost effectively".
"This decision is in no way a reflection on the dedication and efforts of the employees in our Jamestown facility, but is a result of a competitive global business environment," said Fruit of the Loom COO and executive vice president, Tony Pelaski.
The phase-down is due to start on or around 8 June and will be completed by 31 December, the company added.
Affected employees will be given a 60-day notice in accordance with the Workers Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN).
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Children's Wear in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Boys Wear, Girls Wear, and Infants & Toddlers Wear. The report provides separate compre...
The Intimate Apparel market in the US comprises of intimate apparel for both men and women. Intimate apparel products include underwear, bra, panty, sleepwear, daywear, and shapewear....
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Why TPP implementation is far from a done deal
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Cambodia leads US apparel import growth in August
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- Cambodia sets new minimum wage at US$140
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- Vietnam releases new textile dye regulations
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry