US: FTC targets rogue bamboo fibre suppliers
Four companies have misled consumers into thinking clothing and textiles were made from bamboo fibre - when they were really made of rayon, according to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
The FTC has laid charges of deceptively labelling and advertising the products, as well as making false "green" claims about their manufacture, antimicrobial qualities and ability to biodegrade.
The four companies involved are: Sami Designs, trading as Jonäno; CSE, trading as Mad Mod; Pure Bamboo; and The M Group, trading as Bamboosa.
All except The M Group have settled the claims, said the FTC, agreeing to stop making the claims and to abide by the Textile Fiber Products Identification Act.
Action against The M Group is ongoing.
"With the tremendous expansion of green claims in today's marketplace, it is particularly important for the FTC to address deceptive environmental claims, so that consumers can trust that the products they buy have the environmentally friendly attributes they want," said David Vladeck, director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection.
The products had been marketed under names such as ecoKashmere, Pure Bamboo, Bamboo Comfort and BambooBaby.
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- US Q3 in brief - Under Armour, VF Corp, Skechers
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020