US: FTC updates textile labelling rules
The US Federal Trading Commission (FTC) has made a number of changes to its textile labelling rules on fibre content and country-of-origin disclosures.
The new rules implement the Textile Fiber Products Identification Act, which requires that certain textiles sold in the country carry labels showing the generic names and percentages by weight of fibres, along with the manufacturer or marketer name, and the country where the product was processed or manufactured.
The changes, which also take industry comments and feedback into account, will see the incorporation of International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 2076 standard for generic names for manufactured fibres, thus allowing for greater harmonisation across the global apparel industry.
And hang-tags will be allowed to disclose fibre names and trademarks, and performance information, without the need to disclose the product's full fibre content.
The country-of-origin disclosure clarifies that an imported product's country of origin is the country where it was processed or manufactured.
A strongly opposed proposal that would have required annual renewal of continuing guaranties, a form completed by sellers to guaranty products are compliant with the law, was not included in the final rule.
While these guaranties are an important part of the legal process, a requirement for annual renewal "would have placed significant compliance costs on businesses without increasing the reliability of the guaranties," according to the American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA), which had opposed the proposal.
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Weatherproof jackets release harmful chemicals"
- UN rights expert urges further Cambodia reforms
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies