US: Gap books 5% December comparable sales growth
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has today (3 January) booked a 5% rise in December comparable store sales, helped by gains at its North American brands.
Net sales were up 5% to US$2.08bn during the five weeks to 29 December, compared to $1.98bn the same period a year ago.
The San Francisco-based retailer said comparable sales were up at all of its North American brands, with Gap posting 2% sales growth, Banana Republic recording a 1% gain, while Old Navy jumped 13%.
However, international comparable sales slipped 6% on top of a 6% decline last year.
"Customers responded favourably to our product offerings and promotions during the holiday season overall," said chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy. "We're pleased to continue delivering positive comps across all our brands in North America."
Year-to-date net sales increased 6% to $14.52bn, compared to $13.72bn the year before. Comparable sales climbed 4% against a 4% decline last year.
The Gap Inc offers casual, mid-tier clothing to Mexican consumers through department stores and recently in 2012 by opening its first flagship Gap store in the country....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Sports and Fitness Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Sports Apparel, and Fitness Clothing. The report provides separate comprehe...
Children's apparel retailer The Gymboree Corporation has appointed Levi Strauss & Co executive Joelle Maher as the company's new chief operating officer....
US retailer The Wet Seal has appointed Lesli Gilbert as EVP, stores and operations. ...
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc posted a 7% increase in May comparable store sales after customers responded positively to summer products across its brands....
- 2014: Year in review - Sourcing winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Brand winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Retail winners and losers
- Bangladesh: Raising the bar on apparel exports?
- COMMENT: The decline of the buying office
- Report urges overhaul of Cambodia factory safety
- Bangladesh knitting worker killed by faulty lift
- Bangladesh factory improvements “will take years”
- North Face debuts locally-grown "backyard" hoodie
- Tommy Hilfiger launches solar-powered jacket