US: Gap books 5% December comparable sales growth
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has today (3 January) booked a 5% rise in December comparable store sales, helped by gains at its North American brands.
Net sales were up 5% to US$2.08bn during the five weeks to 29 December, compared to $1.98bn the same period a year ago.
The San Francisco-based retailer said comparable sales were up at all of its North American brands, with Gap posting 2% sales growth, Banana Republic recording a 1% gain, while Old Navy jumped 13%.
However, international comparable sales slipped 6% on top of a 6% decline last year.
"Customers responded favourably to our product offerings and promotions during the holiday season overall," said chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy. "We're pleased to continue delivering positive comps across all our brands in North America."
Year-to-date net sales increased 6% to $14.52bn, compared to $13.72bn the year before. Comparable sales climbed 4% against a 4% decline last year.
Children's apparel retailer The Gymboree Corporation has appointed Levi Strauss & Co executive Joelle Maher as the company's new chief operating officer....
US retailer The Wet Seal has appointed Lesli Gilbert as EVP, stores and operations. ...
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc posted a 7% increase in May comparable store sales after customers responded positively to summer products across its brands....
Fashion retailer Gap is making new forays into Paraguay, Hungary and Mexico with its Gap and Banana Republic brands....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has seen its financial year get off to a "strong start" with profit jumping 43% thanks to sales gains at its namesake and Old Navy chains....
- What the EU-Vietnam trade deal means for duties
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Sears looks to lift apparel via sourcing changes
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Clothing and sports chains in activewear battle
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- Practical Price Negotiation