US: Gap books 5% December comparable sales growth
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has today (3 January) booked a 5% rise in December comparable store sales, helped by gains at its North American brands.
Net sales were up 5% to US$2.08bn during the five weeks to 29 December, compared to $1.98bn the same period a year ago.
The San Francisco-based retailer said comparable sales were up at all of its North American brands, with Gap posting 2% sales growth, Banana Republic recording a 1% gain, while Old Navy jumped 13%.
However, international comparable sales slipped 6% on top of a 6% decline last year.
"Customers responded favourably to our product offerings and promotions during the holiday season overall," said chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy. "We're pleased to continue delivering positive comps across all our brands in North America."
Year-to-date net sales increased 6% to $14.52bn, compared to $13.72bn the year before. Comparable sales climbed 4% against a 4% decline last year.
Children's apparel retailer The Gymboree Corporation has appointed Levi Strauss & Co executive Joelle Maher as the company's new chief operating officer....
US retailer The Wet Seal has appointed Lesli Gilbert as EVP, stores and operations. ...
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc posted a 7% increase in May comparable store sales after customers responded positively to summer products across its brands....
Fashion retailer Gap is making new forays into Paraguay, Hungary and Mexico with its Gap and Banana Republic brands....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has seen its financial year get off to a "strong start" with profit jumping 43% thanks to sales gains at its namesake and Old Navy chains....
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack