US: Gap comparable sales increase 9% in August
- Comparable store sales up 9%
- Net sales rise 9.1%
US clothing giant Gap Inc has posted a 9% rise in comparable store sales during August, after "strong" back-to-school sales.
Net sales increased 9.1% to US$1.20bn during the four-week period ended 27 August.
The San Francisco-based retailer saw positive gains across its North America business, after comparable sales increased 9% at Gap, 8% at Banana Republic and 12% at Old Navy.
However, comparable sales for its international division slipped 2% against a 9% decline last year.
"Our August results underscore our focus to deliver trend-right product supported by great store execution," said chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy. "In addition, we drove strong back-to-school sales, particularly at Old Navy."
Year-to-date net sales climbed 6% to $ $8.26bn, while year-to-date comparable sales edged up 4%, compared to a 3% decline last year.
2013 got off to a strong start for US clothing and footwear retailers in January, with many reporting their best performance since September 2011....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' January 2013 sales results....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has remained coy on reports Japanese retail giant Fast Retailing has expressed interest in buying the company....
LeAnn Nealz, the president and chief creative officer of Fifth & Pacific's struggling Juicy Couture brand, is to leave the company....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has booked an 8% increase in January comparable store sales thanks to continued momentum in its North American businesses....
The Fair Trade Certified apparel pilot programme initiated by Fair Trade USA is making good progress, according to a report from the organisation's Multi-Stakeholder Group (MSG) for apparel....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc is to close two distribution centres in Hebron, Kentucky in a move aimed at driving efficiency, but will also put 350 jobs at risk....
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- SuperGroup to adapt sourcing model for speed
- GAFTI gears up for change in apparel auditing
- Fast Retailing ramps up sustainability efforts
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- Transparency call for German apparel firms
- Strike at Adidas and Nike shoe factory in Vietnam
- Lululemon Athletica on “strong growth” track
- Myanmar garments to benefit from export strategy
- H&M and Kering trial recycling technology
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide