US: Gap comparable sales increase 9% in August
- Comparable store sales up 9%
- Net sales rise 9.1%
US clothing giant Gap Inc has posted a 9% rise in comparable store sales during August, after "strong" back-to-school sales.
Net sales increased 9.1% to US$1.20bn during the four-week period ended 27 August.
The San Francisco-based retailer saw positive gains across its North America business, after comparable sales increased 9% at Gap, 8% at Banana Republic and 12% at Old Navy.
However, comparable sales for its international division slipped 2% against a 9% decline last year.
"Our August results underscore our focus to deliver trend-right product supported by great store execution," said chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy. "In addition, we drove strong back-to-school sales, particularly at Old Navy."
Year-to-date net sales climbed 6% to $ $8.26bn, while year-to-date comparable sales edged up 4%, compared to a 3% decline last year.
2013 got off to a strong start for US clothing and footwear retailers in January, with many reporting their best performance since September 2011....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' January 2013 sales results....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has remained coy on reports Japanese retail giant Fast Retailing has expressed interest in buying the company....
LeAnn Nealz, the president and chief creative officer of Fifth & Pacific's struggling Juicy Couture brand, is to leave the company....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has booked an 8% increase in January comparable store sales thanks to continued momentum in its North American businesses....
The Fair Trade Certified apparel pilot programme initiated by Fair Trade USA is making good progress, according to a report from the organisation's Multi-Stakeholder Group (MSG) for apparel....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc is to close two distribution centres in Hebron, Kentucky in a move aimed at driving efficiency, but will also put 350 jobs at risk....
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015