US: Gap comparable sales increase 9% in August
- Comparable store sales up 9%
- Net sales rise 9.1%
US clothing giant Gap Inc has posted a 9% rise in comparable store sales during August, after "strong" back-to-school sales.
Net sales increased 9.1% to US$1.20bn during the four-week period ended 27 August.
The San Francisco-based retailer saw positive gains across its North America business, after comparable sales increased 9% at Gap, 8% at Banana Republic and 12% at Old Navy.
However, comparable sales for its international division slipped 2% against a 9% decline last year.
"Our August results underscore our focus to deliver trend-right product supported by great store execution," said chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy. "In addition, we drove strong back-to-school sales, particularly at Old Navy."
Year-to-date net sales climbed 6% to $ $8.26bn, while year-to-date comparable sales edged up 4%, compared to a 3% decline last year.
2013 got off to a strong start for US clothing and footwear retailers in January, with many reporting their best performance since September 2011....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' January 2013 sales results....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has remained coy on reports Japanese retail giant Fast Retailing has expressed interest in buying the company....
LeAnn Nealz, the president and chief creative officer of Fifth & Pacific's struggling Juicy Couture brand, is to leave the company....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has booked an 8% increase in January comparable store sales thanks to continued momentum in its North American businesses....
The Fair Trade Certified apparel pilot programme initiated by Fair Trade USA is making good progress, according to a report from the organisation's Multi-Stakeholder Group (MSG) for apparel....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc is to close two distribution centres in Hebron, Kentucky in a move aimed at driving efficiency, but will also put 350 jobs at risk....
- 2014: Year in review - Sourcing winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Brand winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Retail winners and losers
- Bangladesh: Raising the bar on apparel exports?
- Bangladesh: The business benefits of compliance
- Report urges overhaul of Cambodia factory safety
- Bangladesh factory improvements “will take years”
- Bangladesh knitting worker killed by faulty lift
- North Face debuts locally-grown "backyard" hoodie
- Tommy Hilfiger launches solar-powered jacket