US: Gap comparable sales rise 10% in July, Q2 sales up
- Comparable sales up 10% in July
- Net sales increase 12%
- Q2 sales up 6% to $3.58bn
Clothing retailer Gap Inc today (2 August) saw July comparable sales increase 10%, which were driven by the company's positive performance in North America.
Net sales for the four-week period ended 28 July increased 12% to US$1.06bn.
The San Francisco-based retailer recorded a 13% rise in its North American business, compared to a negative performance last year. Sales for its Banana Republic and Old Navy brands in North America sales increased 8% and 12% respectively.
International sales climbed 4%, compared to a 10% decline the same period last year.
Meanwhile, net sales for the second quarter increased 6% to $3.58bn, while comparable sales climbed 4% compared to a 2% fall the same period last year.
Gap's North American division saw sales increase 7%, while Banana Republic sales were up 7% and Old Navy sales climbed 3%. However, international declined 5% compared to a 4% decrease last year.
Chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy said: "We are pleased with our second quarter sales performance and the continued positive trend we're experiencing in North America."
Year-to-date sales increased 6% to $7.06bn, while year-to-date comparable sales climbed 4%, compared to a 2% fall last year.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' December 2012 sales results....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc is to close two distribution centres in Hebron, Kentucky in a move aimed at driving efficiency, but will also put 350 jobs at risk....
US children's wear retailer The Gymboree Corp has poached a second executive from specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc in the space of a week, appointing Evan Price as its new chief financial officer....
US children's wear retailer Gymboree has named Gap North America president Mark Breitbard as its new CEO....
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015