US: Gap comparable sales rise 10% in July, Q2 sales up
- Comparable sales up 10% in July
- Net sales increase 12%
- Q2 sales up 6% to $3.58bn
Clothing retailer Gap Inc today (2 August) saw July comparable sales increase 10%, which were driven by the company's positive performance in North America.
Net sales for the four-week period ended 28 July increased 12% to US$1.06bn.
The San Francisco-based retailer recorded a 13% rise in its North American business, compared to a negative performance last year. Sales for its Banana Republic and Old Navy brands in North America sales increased 8% and 12% respectively.
International sales climbed 4%, compared to a 10% decline the same period last year.
Meanwhile, net sales for the second quarter increased 6% to $3.58bn, while comparable sales climbed 4% compared to a 2% fall the same period last year.
Gap's North American division saw sales increase 7%, while Banana Republic sales were up 7% and Old Navy sales climbed 3%. However, international declined 5% compared to a 4% decrease last year.
Chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy said: "We are pleased with our second quarter sales performance and the continued positive trend we're experiencing in North America."
Year-to-date sales increased 6% to $7.06bn, while year-to-date comparable sales climbed 4%, compared to a 2% fall last year.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' December 2012 sales results....
This report analyzes the worldwide market for Denim Jeans in US$ Million and Million Units....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc is to close two distribution centres in Hebron, Kentucky in a move aimed at driving efficiency, but will also put 350 jobs at risk....
US children's wear retailer The Gymboree Corp has poached a second executive from specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc in the space of a week, appointing Evan Price as its new chief financial officer....
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details