US: Gap comparable sales rise 10% in July, Q2 sales up
- Comparable sales up 10% in July
- Net sales increase 12%
- Q2 sales up 6% to $3.58bn
Clothing retailer Gap Inc today (2 August) saw July comparable sales increase 10%, which were driven by the company's positive performance in North America.
Net sales for the four-week period ended 28 July increased 12% to US$1.06bn.
The San Francisco-based retailer recorded a 13% rise in its North American business, compared to a negative performance last year. Sales for its Banana Republic and Old Navy brands in North America sales increased 8% and 12% respectively.
International sales climbed 4%, compared to a 10% decline the same period last year.
Meanwhile, net sales for the second quarter increased 6% to $3.58bn, while comparable sales climbed 4% compared to a 2% fall the same period last year.
Gap's North American division saw sales increase 7%, while Banana Republic sales were up 7% and Old Navy sales climbed 3%. However, international declined 5% compared to a 4% decrease last year.
Chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy said: "We are pleased with our second quarter sales performance and the continued positive trend we're experiencing in North America."
Year-to-date sales increased 6% to $7.06bn, while year-to-date comparable sales climbed 4%, compared to a 2% fall last year.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' December 2012 sales results....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc is to close two distribution centres in Hebron, Kentucky in a move aimed at driving efficiency, but will also put 350 jobs at risk....
US children's wear retailer The Gymboree Corp has poached a second executive from specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc in the space of a week, appointing Evan Price as its new chief financial officer....
US children's wear retailer Gymboree has named Gap North America president Mark Breitbard as its new CEO....
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis