US: Gap comparable store sales down 7% in February
Clothing giant Gap Inc has reported a 7% drop in comparable store sales in February, after store closures due to extreme weather conditions led to sales declines at all three of its brands.
The San Francisco-based retailer said comparable store sales at its Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy brands were down a respective 10%, 7% and 6% during the four weeks to 2 March.
Net sales were down 3.8% to US$929m, from $966m in the same period of last year.
More than 450 stores were closured at some point during the month due to the extreme weather. However, the company said February typically represents the smallest month of the first quarter.
"While February was clearly a difficult month, we remain focused on executing our global priorities," said chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy.
FBR Capital Markets analyst Susan Anderson said although Gap saw an overall decline, comparable store sales improved in the second half of the month, with week four being the strongest.
"Given the Easter shift from March last year into April this year and storms and cold weather that continued into March, we don't see comp stabilisation as likely until April."
The Gap, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
The Gap is a US apparel specialist retailer which offers casual, mid-tier clothing. It continues to pursue a multi-tier price strategy, operating retail concepts (Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy, Piper...
Gap Inc’s sales performance in 2012 highlights a successful turnaround is well underway. Innovative marketing combined with an omni-channel focus places the company well to regain lost market share. G...
The Gap Inc offers casual, mid-tier clothing to Mexican consumers through department stores and recently in 2012 by opening its first flagship Gap store in the country....
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Weatherproof jackets release harmful chemicals"
- UN rights expert urges further Cambodia reforms
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies