US: Gap comparable store sales down 7% in February
Clothing giant Gap Inc has reported a 7% drop in comparable store sales in February, after store closures due to extreme weather conditions led to sales declines at all three of its brands.
The San Francisco-based retailer said comparable store sales at its Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy brands were down a respective 10%, 7% and 6% during the four weeks to 2 March.
Net sales were down 3.8% to US$929m, from $966m in the same period of last year.
More than 450 stores were closured at some point during the month due to the extreme weather. However, the company said February typically represents the smallest month of the first quarter.
"While February was clearly a difficult month, we remain focused on executing our global priorities," said chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy.
FBR Capital Markets analyst Susan Anderson said although Gap saw an overall decline, comparable store sales improved in the second half of the month, with week four being the strongest.
"Given the Easter shift from March last year into April this year and storms and cold weather that continued into March, we don't see comp stabilisation as likely until April."
The Gap, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
The Gap Inc has demonstrated that it understands the direction of the apparel market, and is using its digital platforms in conjunction with its physical stores to drive growth. The company has benefi...
Gap Inc’s sales performance in 2012 highlights a successful turnaround is well underway. Innovative marketing combined with an omni-channel focus places the company well to regain lost market share. G...
Gap Inc appears firmly set on recovery, thanks to a renewed focus on style and quality, a good customer response towards its e-commerce initiative and stabilisation of market share in the US, its home...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Opportunities and Applications for Digital Textile Printing
- Colombia - ISA Country Report