US: Gap comparable store sales down 7% in February
Clothing giant Gap Inc has reported a 7% drop in comparable store sales in February, after store closures due to extreme weather conditions led to sales declines at all three of its brands.
The San Francisco-based retailer said comparable store sales at its Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy brands were down a respective 10%, 7% and 6% during the four weeks to 2 March.
Net sales were down 3.8% to US$929m, from $966m in the same period of last year.
More than 450 stores were closured at some point during the month due to the extreme weather. However, the company said February typically represents the smallest month of the first quarter.
"While February was clearly a difficult month, we remain focused on executing our global priorities," said chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy.
FBR Capital Markets analyst Susan Anderson said although Gap saw an overall decline, comparable store sales improved in the second half of the month, with week four being the strongest.
"Given the Easter shift from March last year into April this year and storms and cold weather that continued into March, we don't see comp stabilisation as likely until April."
Apparel Retail in Philippines industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile a...
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- North Face has holistic view on harmful chemicals
- US Q2 in brief - Columbia Sportswear, Rocky Brands
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- Ananta Group hits back at Bangladesh union claims
- LVMH to sell Donna Karan to G-III for US$650m
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020