INDIA: Gap considers India entry
US apparel giant Gap Inc has said it is considering launching retail stores in India but stressed it is in the early stages of the process.
The San Francisco-based retailer, which operates more than 3,200 stores worldwide, is allegedly conducting market research in the country to operate retailer stores in the future, according to The Wall Street Journal.
Gap is likely to decide how many stores it will open and how much money it will spend in India early next year, the report added.
A spokesperson for Gap told just-style: "Gap Inc has a strong growth strategy, as illustrated by our expansion in China, our first international Old Navy store in Japan, the performance of our franchise stores and the opportunity for Athleta in the US.
"As our CEO has said, India is one of the markets that we could consider in the future, but any exploration of this opportunity is in the very early stages."
In January, the Indian government approved 100% foreign direct ownership (FDI) in single-brand retail. With proposals involving FDI of more than 51%, at least 30% of the value of products sold would have to be sourced from Indian small industries, the government said.
Last month, Gap booked a 29% jump in second quarter net profit, which was boosted by across-the-board comparable store sales increases for its main brands.
International growth continues to be a key strategy for Gap. In July, it opened its first Old Navy store outside the US, in Japan.
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Sports and Fitness Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Sports Apparel, and Fitness Clothing. The report provides separate comprehe...
2013 got off to a strong start for US clothing and footwear retailers in January, with many reporting their best performance since September 2011....
This report analyzes the worldwide market for Denim Jeans in US$ Million and Million Units....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' January 2013 sales results....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Children's Wear in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Boys Wear, Girls Wear, and Infants & Toddlers Wear. The report provides separate compre...
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has remained coy on reports Japanese retail giant Fast Retailing has expressed interest in buying the company....
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- US retailers' March 2014 sales roundup
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- VF Corp eyes speed to market with China hub
- Bangladesh equipment duties drag on safety efforts
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Jeans in Italy
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects