US: Gap earnings down and cautious on FY forecast
- Q4 earnings drop 12.5%
- Sales down 3.2%
- FY EPS to be hit by weak currency
Gap said it expects its EPS growth rate to be negatively impacted by weakening foreign currencies
Clothing giant Gap Inc saw earnings drop in its fourth-quarter and said it expects weakening foreign currencies to hit earnings for the full year.
Net income in the three months ended 1 February dropped 12.5% to US$307m from $351m a year earlier.
Sales were down 3.2% to $4.58bn, while comparable sales edged up 1% compared with a 5% increase in the fourth quarter of last year.
Both earnings and revenues were negatively impacted by the loss of a 53rd week in the 2013 figures and heavy discounting over the holiday period.
For the full year, Gap said it expects its EPS growth rate to be negatively impacted by around five percentage points, as a result of weakening foreign currencies. As a result, the company has forecast EPS to be in the range of $2.90 to $2.95
Nonetheless, Gap said it will open 30 additional namesake stores in China during fiscal 2014, in addition to debuting five Old Navy stores in the country.
RBC Capital Markets analyst Howard Tubin noted: "While a necessary evil this past holiday season, price promotions and discounts are not levers GPS management is happy about having to pull.
"CEO Murphy believes that "it all starts with the product" and offering compelling and differentiated assortments is the most effective way to drive the business. This is a sentiment with which we completely agree."
The Gap Inc has demonstrated that it understands the direction of the apparel market, and is using its digital platforms in conjunction with its physical stores to drive growth. The company has benefi...
Gap Inc’s sales performance in 2012 highlights a successful turnaround is well underway. Innovative marketing combined with an omni-channel focus places the company well to regain lost market share. G...
Gap Inc appears firmly set on recovery, thanks to a renewed focus on style and quality, a good customer response towards its e-commerce initiative and stabilisation of market share in the US, its home...
Introduction Womenswear in France industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profi......
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- C&A building brand loyalty through consistent fit
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015