US: Gap earnings down and cautious on FY forecast
- Q4 earnings drop 12.5%
- Sales down 3.2%
- FY EPS to be hit by weak currency
Gap said it expects its EPS growth rate to be negatively impacted by weakening foreign currencies
Clothing giant Gap Inc saw earnings drop in its fourth-quarter and said it expects weakening foreign currencies to hit earnings for the full year.
Net income in the three months ended 1 February dropped 12.5% to US$307m from $351m a year earlier.
Sales were down 3.2% to $4.58bn, while comparable sales edged up 1% compared with a 5% increase in the fourth quarter of last year.
Both earnings and revenues were negatively impacted by the loss of a 53rd week in the 2013 figures and heavy discounting over the holiday period.
For the full year, Gap said it expects its EPS growth rate to be negatively impacted by around five percentage points, as a result of weakening foreign currencies. As a result, the company has forecast EPS to be in the range of $2.90 to $2.95
Nonetheless, Gap said it will open 30 additional namesake stores in China during fiscal 2014, in addition to debuting five Old Navy stores in the country.
RBC Capital Markets analyst Howard Tubin noted: "While a necessary evil this past holiday season, price promotions and discounts are not levers GPS management is happy about having to pull.
"CEO Murphy believes that "it all starts with the product" and offering compelling and differentiated assortments is the most effective way to drive the business. This is a sentiment with which we completely agree."
The Gap, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
The Gap Inc has demonstrated that it understands the direction of the apparel market, and is using its digital platforms in conjunction with its physical stores to drive growth. The company has benefi...
The Gap is a US apparel specialist retailer which offers casual, mid-tier clothing. It continues to pursue a multi-tier price strategy, operating retail concepts (Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy, Piper...
Gap Inc’s sales performance in 2012 highlights a successful turnaround is well underway. Innovative marketing combined with an omni-channel focus places the company well to regain lost market share. G...
- New wage ladder lifts workers towards living wages
- US retailers to face logistics issues into 2015
- African apparel sector needs cooperation to thrive
- UK fashion sector prospects depend on partnerships
- New scenarios driving sustainability in textiles
- Bangladesh worker dies as factory boiler ruptures
- Gap unveils management changes as Q3 profit rises
- Long-running SL Garment dispute settled
- Global unions join forces on apparel wage poverty
- US apparel prices continue to fall
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Moisture Management Fabrics: Key to Wearer Comfort
- Global Apparel Markets: Product Developments and Innovations, 2nd Quarter 2014