US: Gap fourth quarter profit surges 61%
- Net income grew 61% to reach $351m
- Sales increased 10.5% to $4.73bn
- Full-year net income was up 32% to $1.1bn
- Sales were up 8.2% to $15.7bn
Fourth-quarter net income jumped 61% to reach $351m
Speciality clothing retailer Gap Inc has capped off a strong year with a sharp increase in net profits as its turnaround efforts take hold.
The company recorded a 61% increase in net profit to reach $351m over the quarter ended 2 February, against $218m in the prior year period. Sales grew 10.5% to $4.73bn, rising 5% on a comparable store basis.
The company recorded improvements in all of its divisions, with Gap North America recording a 4% comparable sales gain, Banana Republic North America comparable sales increasing 4%, and Old Navy reporting 8% comparable growth. The international division recorded a 2% decline, an improvement on the 8% drop reported last year.
"Our results in 2012 were stellar in many ways, and I'm very pleased with how well our product resonated with customers," said Glenn Murphy, chairman and chief executive officer of Gap Inc.
"We enter 2013 focused on leveraging our global brands to gain more market share and continuing to increase shareholder value."
For the full year, the company said net income increased 32% to $1.1bn, from US$833m in the prior year. Sales grew 8.2% over the year to $15.7bn, from $14.5bn in the earlier year period. Comparable sales increased 5% over the year.
All brands recorded improved comparable sales over the year, with Gap North America posting a 6% gain, Banana Republic North America growing 5%, and Old Navy increasing 6%. The group's international division saw a 3% decline, but this was an improvement on the 7% drop last year.
In 2013, the company expects diluted earnings per share to increase 8-12% on 2012 to reach $2.52 to $2.60.
The Gap Inc offers casual, mid-tier clothing to Mexican consumers through department stores and recently in 2012 by opening its first flagship Gap store in the country....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc is investing US$35m to expand operations at its distribution centre in Gallatin, Tennessee, in a move that will help improve speed to market and create 90 jobs....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Sports and Fitness Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Sports Apparel, and Fitness Clothing. The report provides separate comprehe...
An ongoing dispute at SL Garment Processing, which makes clothing for Gap Inc and H&M, has seen an extra 1,000 workers reportedly walk out on strike, demanding higher wages....
Levi Strauss has announced a series of executive appointments at the Levi's brand to help drive innovative product and marketing....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has raised its full-year earnings outlook after strong sales of summer merchandise at its Gap and Old Navy stores helped lift second-quarter profit by nearly 25%....
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Coats to open new zip factory in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam