USA: Gap Inc. Announces May Sales
Gap Inc. (NYSE:GPS) today reported sales of $930 million for the four-week period ended May 27, 2000, an increase of 19 percent over sales of $780 million for the comparable period ended May 29, 1999. The company's comparable store sales for May 2000 decreased 2 percent compared to an 8 percent increase in May 1999. The company's May comparable store sales by division were as follows: Gap Domestic had a positive low-single digit versus flat comps last year, Gap International had a positive mid-single digit versus a positive mid-single digit last year, Banana Republic had a negative low-single digit versus positive mid-teens last year and Old Navy had a negative high-single digit versus positive high-teens last year. Sales of $3.662 billion for the 17 weeks ended May 27, 2000 represent an increase of 20 percent over sales of $3.058 billion for the same period in 1999. The company's year-to-date comparable store sales decreased 2 percent compared to a 10 percent increase a year ago. As of May 27, 2000, Gap Inc. operated 3,190 stores compared to 2,603 at May 29, 1999, an increase of 23 percent.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Lenzing unveils new sustainability strategy
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar