USA: Gap Inc. Announces May Sales
Gap Inc. (NYSE:GPS) today reported sales of $930 million for the four-week period ended May 27, 2000, an increase of 19 percent over sales of $780 million for the comparable period ended May 29, 1999. The company's comparable store sales for May 2000 decreased 2 percent compared to an 8 percent increase in May 1999. The company's May comparable store sales by division were as follows: Gap Domestic had a positive low-single digit versus flat comps last year, Gap International had a positive mid-single digit versus a positive mid-single digit last year, Banana Republic had a negative low-single digit versus positive mid-teens last year and Old Navy had a negative high-single digit versus positive high-teens last year. Sales of $3.662 billion for the 17 weeks ended May 27, 2000 represent an increase of 20 percent over sales of $3.058 billion for the same period in 1999. The company's year-to-date comparable store sales decreased 2 percent compared to a 10 percent increase a year ago. As of May 27, 2000, Gap Inc. operated 3,190 stores compared to 2,603 at May 29, 1999, an increase of 23 percent.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack