US: Gap launching stores in Israel
US retail giant Gap Inc is to open its first Gap and Banana Republic stores in Israel.
Under a franchise agreement with Elbit Trade & Retail in the country, the first Gap store in Israel will open this autumn, followed by Banana Republic in spring 2010.
"By signing this agreement, we're building upon the success we've seen in other countries in the Middle East and Mediterranean," said Ron Young, senior vice president of international strategic alliances for Gap Inc.
"We selected Elbit Trade & Retail for their extensive experience in real estate development and their strong track record of operating franchise stores for other retailers."
Gap has opened 89 Gap and 32 Banana Republic franchise stores in 14 countries around the world, including Bahrain, Greece, Indonesia, Korea, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Malaysia, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Philippines, Singapore, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.
Elbit Trade & Retail is well-known as the exclusive Israeli distributor and retailer of brand names Mango-MNG and G-Star.
There was little sign of any uptick in retail spending in July, as retailers released yet another disappointing month of same-store sales results....
One of Indonesia's largest garment makers, PT Eratex Djaja, is to close a factory with the loss of 400 workers after running into financial problems, according to local media reports....
Spanish chain Mango continues its expansion in Asia and Eastern Europe with new stores opening in China, Japan, South Korea, Singapore and the Philippines....
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' July 2009 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Lower sales across all divisions have pushed US clothing retailer Gap Inc to a 7% fall in July sales, the San Francisco based retailer said today (6 August)....
US apparel giants Gap Inc and Levi Strauss have launched supply chain investigations in Lesotho after a joint supplier in the African country was exposed for chemical dumping and pollution by a UK new...
US clothing retailer Gap Inc has vowed to continue sourcing from India amid comments by a minister in the country it would not, reports local media....
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- What clothing could the TPP X-basket contain?
- Where next for e-textiles and smart garments?
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- H&M falling behind on Bangladesh factory safety?
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- World cotton trade seen stable in 2015/16
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020