US: Gap launching stores in Israel
US retail giant Gap Inc is to open its first Gap and Banana Republic stores in Israel.
Under a franchise agreement with Elbit Trade & Retail in the country, the first Gap store in Israel will open this autumn, followed by Banana Republic in spring 2010.
"By signing this agreement, we're building upon the success we've seen in other countries in the Middle East and Mediterranean," said Ron Young, senior vice president of international strategic alliances for Gap Inc.
"We selected Elbit Trade & Retail for their extensive experience in real estate development and their strong track record of operating franchise stores for other retailers."
Gap has opened 89 Gap and 32 Banana Republic franchise stores in 14 countries around the world, including Bahrain, Greece, Indonesia, Korea, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Malaysia, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Philippines, Singapore, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.
Elbit Trade & Retail is well-known as the exclusive Israeli distributor and retailer of brand names Mango-MNG and G-Star.
There was little sign of any uptick in retail spending in July, as retailers released yet another disappointing month of same-store sales results....
One of Indonesia's largest garment makers, PT Eratex Djaja, is to close a factory with the loss of 400 workers after running into financial problems, according to local media reports....
Spanish chain Mango continues its expansion in Asia and Eastern Europe with new stores opening in China, Japan, South Korea, Singapore and the Philippines....
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' July 2009 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Lower sales across all divisions have pushed US clothing retailer Gap Inc to a 7% fall in July sales, the San Francisco based retailer said today (6 August)....
US apparel giants Gap Inc and Levi Strauss have launched supply chain investigations in Lesotho after a joint supplier in the African country was exposed for chemical dumping and pollution by a UK new...
US clothing retailer Gap Inc has vowed to continue sourcing from India amid comments by a minister in the country it would not, reports local media....
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Hanesbrands invests $1.5m in US hosiery plant
- US takes final step to WTO TFA implementation
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead