US: Gap lifts FY earnings guidance as July comps fall 11%
Despite an 11% year-on-year fall in July same-store sales at Gap Inc, the US' largest specialty clothing retailer said yesterday (7 August) it is increasing its earnings guidance for the full-year.
Total July sales were down 5% to $998m from $1.05bn in the same month last year.
By division, comparable store sales fell 6% at Gap North America, were down 8% at Banana Republic North America, and slumped 16% at Old Navy North America. Its international sales fell 9%.
"In July, we focused on clearing through remaining summer product and preparing our stores for fall deliveries," said Sabrina Simmons, chief financial officer of Gap Inc.
"We're pleased that we delivered merchandise margins significantly above last year."
The company is increasing its guidance for earnings per share for fiscal 2008 to $1.30 to $1.35 from its previous guidance of $1.20 to $1.27.
January same-store sales at Wal-Mart Stores exceeded expectations as customers continued to flock to its stores in search of bargains....
Despite posting a 23% slump in January same-store sales, shares in Gap Inc rose 6% yesterday (5 January) as the largest US specialty clothing retailer lifted its earnings outlook on the back of sharp ...
Second quarter earnings at women's wear retailer Bebe Stores have tumbled 71% after the retailer resorted to promotions to try to drive sales....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' January 2009 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
The US labour union Teamsters is rolling out a new campaign called "Gap Hurts Kids" over the clothing retailer's former ties with under-fire freight provider Oak Harbor Freight Lines....
Value apparel retailer Citi Trends posted an 8.9% sales increase in its fourth quarter, but saw comparable store sales fall back slightly....
Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation today (4 February) posted a 7.1% drop in third quarter profit on lower sales, and reduced its full-year revenue guidance....
Fashion retail group Esprit Holdings pledged to emerge stronger from the current downturn despite posting its first profit fall in a decade for the company's first half....
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack