US: Gap lifts outlook as Q3 profit surges 60%
- Q3 profit jumped 60% to $308m
- Net sales rose 8% to $3.86bn
- Comparable sales increased 6%
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has raised its full-year earnings guidance after third-quarter profit surged 60% thanks to higher sales of new and revamped product lines.
The San Francisco-based business said the results underscore its continued progress on key business strategies.
"We're very pleased with our strong third quarter financial performance, highlighted by how well customers have responded to our product," said Glenn Murphy, chairman and CEO.
"We are ready to compete and win this holiday season as we drive to build upon our top line growth."
Net income in the three months to 27 October jumped to $308m or $0.63 per share, up from last year's $193m or $0.38 per share.
Net sales rose 8% to $3.86bn, up from $3.59bn a year earlier.
Comparable sales increased 6%, with gains across the company's North American businesses. A rise of 7% was seen at Gap, Banana Republic was up 6%, and Old Navy surged 9%. But international comps fell 3%.
Given its progress in the year so far, the retailer raised its full-year earnings forecast to between $2.20 and $2.25 per share - which compares with $1.56 per share the year before.
The Gap Inc offers casual, mid-tier clothing to Mexican consumers through department stores and recently in 2012 by opening its first flagship Gap store in the country....
Gap Inc has said that net sales increased 7% over the first quarter, with growth driven by Gap and Old Navy. ...
Reports filed by companies including Gap Inc, Gymboree Corp, Nike Inc, H&M and Wal-Mart Stores to comply with a Washington State law are said to have shown "chemicals of high concern" in products made...
Delia's, which sells clothing for teenage girls and young women, has appointed former Gap executive Tracy Gardner to the newly-created role of chief creative officer....
A new study into the impact of the branded clothing sector on the European economy is calling for a shift in thinking when it comes to setting out trade policies to include the full breadth of the ind...
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- New Gap CEO set to tackle “aesthetic issue”
- Falling euro adds to Bangladesh production woes
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- M&S Asia head quits as China stores to close
- Abercrombie & Fitch reports “dismal” FY
- Gap names new design head amid mixed Q4
- Pay rise mulled for Sri Lanka garment workers
- US labour concerns at Honduras apparel makers
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019