MEXICO: Gap opens first standalone store in Mexico
Gap Inc has opened its first stand-alone store in Mexico as part of efforts to expand in the fast-growing Latin American retail markets.
Gap previously offered its products through a franchise concession in Liverpool Department Stores throughout Mexico.
The company said the stand-alone store opening "signifies an evolution in consumer awareness and affinity for the Gap brand and Gap Inc's continuing focus on providing American style to consumers around the globe".
The store builds on the firm's existing wholesale relationship with Distribuidora Liverpool. Located in the newly designed Interlomas Mall in the suburb of Iterlomas, just outside Mexico City, the 10,000 square foot store will offer Gap, GapKids and babyGap collections.
The company has also extended its existing agreement with retail partner Superior International to open its first Gap stores in Bogota and Medellin in Columbia next month. A Banana Republic store will also open later this year in Medellin.
In Uruguay, the company has signed a new agreement with Neutral Duty Free to open the first Gap store in the country later this year.
"Latin America hosts some of the fastest growing retail markets in the world with extremely high brand recognition for both Gap and Banana Republic," said Gap's managing director of strategic alliances, Stefan Laban.
"This, combined with the tremendous response to the launch of Gap and Banana Republic in Chile and Panamá, makes us confident there is significant opportunity for our brands in Uruguay, as well as other countries in the region."
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' February 2013 sales results. It is worth noting that from this month, a number of retailers are no longer reporting their sales res...
2013 got off to a strong start for US clothing and footwear retailers in January, with many reporting their best performance since September 2011....
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has reported 3% growth in February comparable store sales, driven by an extra week during the month and gains from its acquisition of multi-brand women's wear retai...
US surf wear brand Quiksilver has announced a series of senior management changes as part of efforts to turnaround the business, following the appointment of a new president and CEO in January. ...
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has remained coy on reports Japanese retail giant Fast Retailing has expressed interest in buying the company....
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Where next for Walmart's 3D apparel design pilot?
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis