US: Gap posts flat comparable store sales in December
Clothing giant Gap Inc has reported flat comparable store sales for the month of December, dampened by lower demand at Old Navy.
The San Francisco-based retailer said comparable store sales increased 1% at Gap, were flat at Banana Republic, but slipped 2% at Old Navy.
Net sales reached US$2.05bn during the five weeks to 4 January, down 1.4% from $2.08bn in the same period of the prior year.
During the November and December holiday shopping period, Gap saw comparable store sales edge up 1%. Net sales grew 2% for the nine weeks to 29 December to $3.68bn from $3.59bn in the prior year period.
"We delivered solid overall performance across our global brands this holiday season, on top of last year's strong results," said chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy.
The Gap Inc has demonstrated that it understands the direction of the apparel market, and is using its digital platforms in conjunction with its physical stores to drive growth. The company has benefi...
The Gap is a US apparel specialist retailer which offers casual, mid-tier clothing. It continues to pursue a multi-tier price strategy, operating retail concepts (Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy, Piper...
Gap Inc’s sales performance in 2012 highlights a successful turnaround is well underway. Innovative marketing combined with an omni-channel focus places the company well to regain lost market share. G...
Gap Inc appears firmly set on recovery, thanks to a renewed focus on style and quality, a good customer response towards its e-commerce initiative and stabilisation of market share in the US, its home...
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- Supply chain mapping using the Bitcoin blockchain
- Mexico makers see rise in exports and local demand
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Asian union development and the Western response
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- New dye-sublimation printers for sportswear
- Clothing a top category for mass personalisation
- Exports of lower cotton content denim treble
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects