US: Gap posts mixed Q1 sales performance
Gap posted mixed sales results during the first quarter
US clothing Giant Gap Inc has booked a mixed sales performance in the first-quarter, with net sales growth but a slight fall in comparable store sales.
The San Francisco-based retailer, which operates around 3,100 stores, said net sales reached US$3.77bn in the quarter, compared to $3.73bn in the same period last year.
But comparable store sales edged down 1%, with a 5% decline at Gap, a 1% fall at Banana Republic, while Old Navy recorded a 1% increase.
For April, however, comparable store sales were up 9%, helped by a 3% rise at Gap, a 7% increase at Banana Republic and an 18% jump at Old Navy. Net sales grew 10% to $1.33bn from $1.21bn last year.
"We are pleased with our execution overall in April, especially at Old Navy," said Gap chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy.
Gap Inc expects first-quarter diluted earnings per share to be $0.56-0.57, while gross margins are forecast to fall less than the year-over-year decline in the fourth quarter of last year.
Functional textile specialist Sympatex Technologies is the latest company to join the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), with plans to use the group's sustainability measurement tool, the Higg Index...
US fashion retailer Ascena Retail Group has appointed former Ann Taylor president Brian Lynch as president and CEO of its tween brand Justice....
Hong Kong based sourcing specialist William E Connor & Associates has been named as one of world's most ethical companies for the fourth year in a row....
- Under Armour on track with new UAS sportswear line
- Myanmar garment exports surged 20% in 2015
- Unravelling cotton's supply and demand challenges
- Why synthetic fibres are a safe bet for the future
- EU trade ministers push on TTIP and Canada pacts
- US retailers urge action on Hanjin Shipping crisis
- Brexit may hit suppliers with UK duty-free access
- Zara launches eco-friendly Join Life collection
- Adidas unveils first Speedfactory running shoe
- New US tariff classifications impact woven apparel
- Too Many Standards
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Ralph Lauren Corporation : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras