US: Gap posts mixed Q1 sales performance
Gap posted mixed sales results during the first quarter
US clothing Giant Gap Inc has booked a mixed sales performance in the first-quarter, with net sales growth but a slight fall in comparable store sales.
The San Francisco-based retailer, which operates around 3,100 stores, said net sales reached US$3.77bn in the quarter, compared to $3.73bn in the same period last year.
But comparable store sales edged down 1%, with a 5% decline at Gap, a 1% fall at Banana Republic, while Old Navy recorded a 1% increase.
For April, however, comparable store sales were up 9%, helped by a 3% rise at Gap, a 7% increase at Banana Republic and an 18% jump at Old Navy. Net sales grew 10% to $1.33bn from $1.21bn last year.
"We are pleased with our execution overall in April, especially at Old Navy," said Gap chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy.
Gap Inc expects first-quarter diluted earnings per share to be $0.56-0.57, while gross margins are forecast to fall less than the year-over-year decline in the fourth quarter of last year.
The Gap Inc has demonstrated that it understands the direction of the apparel market, and is using its digital platforms in conjunction with its physical stores to drive growth. The company has benefi...
Gap Inc appears firmly set on recovery, thanks to a renewed focus on style and quality, a good customer response towards its e-commerce initiative and stabilisation of market share in the US, its home...
Introduction Menswear in Japan industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile ......
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Hats, Caps, and Millinery in US$ Million. The report provides separate comprehensive analytics for the US, Canada, Japan, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin Ame...
- What the EU-Vietnam trade deal means for duties
- Ultimate frontier Myanmar uplifts Bogart Lingerie
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- Sears looks to lift apparel via sourcing changes
- Direct sourcing helps M&S narrow the gap with Next
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Clothing and sports chains in activewear battle
- Nike accelerates digital strategy with new hire
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Practical Price Negotiation
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020