US: Gap posts mixed Q1 sales performance
Gap posted mixed sales results during the first quarter
US clothing Giant Gap Inc has booked a mixed sales performance in the first-quarter, with net sales growth but a slight fall in comparable store sales.
The San Francisco-based retailer, which operates around 3,100 stores, said net sales reached US$3.77bn in the quarter, compared to $3.73bn in the same period last year.
But comparable store sales edged down 1%, with a 5% decline at Gap, a 1% fall at Banana Republic, while Old Navy recorded a 1% increase.
For April, however, comparable store sales were up 9%, helped by a 3% rise at Gap, a 7% increase at Banana Republic and an 18% jump at Old Navy. Net sales grew 10% to $1.33bn from $1.21bn last year.
"We are pleased with our execution overall in April, especially at Old Navy," said Gap chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy.
Gap Inc expects first-quarter diluted earnings per share to be $0.56-0.57, while gross margins are forecast to fall less than the year-over-year decline in the fourth quarter of last year.
The Gap Inc has demonstrated that it understands the direction of the apparel market, and is using its digital platforms in conjunction with its physical stores to drive growth. The company has benefi...
The Gap is a US apparel specialist retailer which offers casual, mid-tier clothing. It continues to pursue a multi-tier price strategy, operating retail concepts (Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy, Piper...
Gap Inc’s sales performance in 2012 highlights a successful turnaround is well underway. Innovative marketing combined with an omni-channel focus places the company well to regain lost market share. G...
The Gap Inc, the multi-brand US-based apparel operator, continues to struggle to keep pace with peers such as Inditex. Its dependence on the US, its slower routes to market and a sluggish response to ...
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Mexico makers see rise in exports and local demand
- Asian union development and the Western response
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- Eliminating risk tops sustainability agenda
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects