US: Gap posts mixed Q1 sales performance
Gap posted mixed sales results during the first quarter
US clothing Giant Gap Inc has booked a mixed sales performance in the first-quarter, with net sales growth but a slight fall in comparable store sales.
The San Francisco-based retailer, which operates around 3,100 stores, said net sales reached US$3.77bn in the quarter, compared to $3.73bn in the same period last year.
But comparable store sales edged down 1%, with a 5% decline at Gap, a 1% fall at Banana Republic, while Old Navy recorded a 1% increase.
For April, however, comparable store sales were up 9%, helped by a 3% rise at Gap, a 7% increase at Banana Republic and an 18% jump at Old Navy. Net sales grew 10% to $1.33bn from $1.21bn last year.
"We are pleased with our execution overall in April, especially at Old Navy," said Gap chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy.
Gap Inc expects first-quarter diluted earnings per share to be $0.56-0.57, while gross margins are forecast to fall less than the year-over-year decline in the fourth quarter of last year.
The Gap, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
The Gap Inc has demonstrated that it understands the direction of the apparel market, and is using its digital platforms in conjunction with its physical stores to drive growth. The company has benefi...
The Gap is a US apparel specialist retailer which offers casual, mid-tier clothing. It continues to pursue a multi-tier price strategy, operating retail concepts (Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy, Piper...
Gap Inc’s sales performance in 2012 highlights a successful turnaround is well underway. Innovative marketing combined with an omni-channel focus places the company well to regain lost market share. G...
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details