US: Gap product sales remain "disappointing" in May
Apparel giant Gap said summer product sales were "disappointing" in May, leading to a 6% dip in same-store sales.
Net sales were US$1.16bn compared to $1.17bn last year. Same-store sales fell 8% in May 2005.
By division, Gap North America same-sales fell 5%, Banana Republic North America same-store sales edged up 3%, Old Navy North America same-store sales dropped 8% and Gap International same-store sales plummeted 13%.
"…merchandise margins were significantly below last year", said Sabrina Simmons, senior VP, treasury and investor relations.
"As we continue to move through spring and summer product, we expect that merchandise margins will experience pressure until we transition to fall product in late July."
Year-to-date net sales fell 4% to $4.6bn compared to $4.8bn a year ago, while same-store sales dropped 8% compared with 5% in 2005.
Gap had admitted its turnaround strategy is going slowly. The group has been struggling to pull back shoppers after its casual clothing fell out of favour.
Announcing poor first-quarter results last month, it predicted continued same-store sales declines during the rest of the first half.
Now that India is no longer constrained by quotas, its intrinsic competitiveness is being revealed. Even though China has made bigger gains in market share last year, India's impressive performance me...
Kneeland Youngblood, co-founder and managing partner of Dallas-based private equity firm Pharos Capital Group LLC, has been added to Gap Inc's board of directors....
The following is a general roundup of apparel and shoe chains' November 2006 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Gap's November figures showed another month of disappointment as same-store sales slumped 8%, missing analyst forecasts....
Management training for supervisors in developing country garment manufacturing sectors yields major dividends in economic progress, the International Finance Corporation (IFC) of the World Bank has c...
Gap Inc's profits continued to suffer due to anaemic sales, with Old Navy cited as the principal culprit for both a weaker third quarter and expected softness in the year's final period....
Clothing retailer Gap said it will launch a collection by designer Roland Mouret in the US on 1 December....
A group of ten textile and apparel organisations is calling on President Bush and the Congressional leadership to approve legislation on three areas of US-Andean trade at this week's 'lame-duck' sessi...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022