US: Gap Q1 earnings come in at top end of guidance
- Q1 earnings drop 22%
- Gross margin erods 260 bps
- Sales edge up 1%
Gap's earnings decline was driven by a weak start to the quarter
US clothing giant Gap Inc has reported first-quarter earnings that came in at the high end of its recent guidance and above analyst estimates.
Gap reported earnings of US$260m, or $0.58 per share, in the three months ended 3 May. This was a 22% drop on earnings of $333m, or $0.71 per share, in the year ago period. It beat the firm's guidance of $0.56-$0.57, and was $0.01 above Stifel estimates.
The decline was driven by a weak start to the quarter, gross margin erosion of 260 bps, and by 5% from foreign exchange rate fluctuations.
Stifel analyst Richard Jaffe said: "Results improved as the quarter progressed, leading us to believe assortments are on-trend and the company is well positioned as it enters the second quarter."
Net sales for the first quarter edged up 1% to $3.77bn from $3.73bn last year. The translation of foreign revenues into dollars negatively impacted sales by around $20m in the quarter.
Comparable sales dropped 1% compared with a 2% increase last year.
Despite the declines, the company reaffirmed its guidance for fiscal 2014 diluted EPS to be in the range of $2.90 to $2.95.
Jaffe added: "Gap's continued focus on improving the omni-channel shopping experience and offering trend-right assortment is anticipated to drive comp gains long term. We reiterate our 'buy' rating and 12 month target price of $48."
The Gap, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
The Gap, Inc. - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and...
The Gap Inc has demonstrated that it understands the direction of the apparel market, and is using its digital platforms in conjunction with its physical stores to drive growth. The company has benefi...
Synopsis Canadean's "THE GAP, INC. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company o...
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Responsible apparel sourcing requires teamwork
- New JC Penney CEO “credible but no solution”
- UPDATE: A&F appoints Horowitz to head Hollister
- H&M calls for annual wage reviews in Bangladesh
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- Cambodia garment workers campaign for higher wages
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020