US: Gap Q1 earnings come in at top end of guidance
- Q1 earnings drop 22%
- Gross margin erods 260 bps
- Sales edge up 1%
Gap's earnings decline was driven by a weak start to the quarter
US clothing giant Gap Inc has reported first-quarter earnings that came in at the high end of its recent guidance and above analyst estimates.
Gap reported earnings of US$260m, or $0.58 per share, in the three months ended 3 May. This was a 22% drop on earnings of $333m, or $0.71 per share, in the year ago period. It beat the firm's guidance of $0.56-$0.57, and was $0.01 above Stifel estimates.
The decline was driven by a weak start to the quarter, gross margin erosion of 260 bps, and by 5% from foreign exchange rate fluctuations.
Stifel analyst Richard Jaffe said: "Results improved as the quarter progressed, leading us to believe assortments are on-trend and the company is well positioned as it enters the second quarter."
Net sales for the first quarter edged up 1% to $3.77bn from $3.73bn last year. The translation of foreign revenues into dollars negatively impacted sales by around $20m in the quarter.
Comparable sales dropped 1% compared with a 2% increase last year.
Despite the declines, the company reaffirmed its guidance for fiscal 2014 diluted EPS to be in the range of $2.90 to $2.95.
Jaffe added: "Gap's continued focus on improving the omni-channel shopping experience and offering trend-right assortment is anticipated to drive comp gains long term. We reiterate our 'buy' rating and 12 month target price of $48."
The Gap Inc has demonstrated that it understands the direction of the apparel market, and is using its digital platforms in conjunction with its physical stores to drive growth. The company has benefi...
Gap Inc’s sales performance in 2012 highlights a successful turnaround is well underway. Innovative marketing combined with an omni-channel focus places the company well to regain lost market share. G...
Gap Inc appears firmly set on recovery, thanks to a renewed focus on style and quality, a good customer response towards its e-commerce initiative and stabilisation of market share in the US, its home...
Introduction Womenswear in France industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profi......
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- What clothing could the TPP X-basket contain?
- Patagonia's CSR commitments re-shaping the sector
- Zalando: profit is so last season
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- New CEO may focus on Ralph Lauren supply chain
- H&M falling behind on Bangladesh factory safety?
- Nike collaborates on low-impact textile challenge
- Unions agree proposed Cambodia minimum wage
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry