US: Gap Q1 earnings come in at top end of guidance
- Q1 earnings drop 22%
- Gross margin erods 260 bps
- Sales edge up 1%
Gap's earnings decline was driven by a weak start to the quarter
US clothing giant Gap Inc has reported first-quarter earnings that came in at the high end of its recent guidance and above analyst estimates.
Gap reported earnings of US$260m, or $0.58 per share, in the three months ended 3 May. This was a 22% drop on earnings of $333m, or $0.71 per share, in the year ago period. It beat the firm's guidance of $0.56-$0.57, and was $0.01 above Stifel estimates.
The decline was driven by a weak start to the quarter, gross margin erosion of 260 bps, and by 5% from foreign exchange rate fluctuations.
Stifel analyst Richard Jaffe said: "Results improved as the quarter progressed, leading us to believe assortments are on-trend and the company is well positioned as it enters the second quarter."
Net sales for the first quarter edged up 1% to $3.77bn from $3.73bn last year. The translation of foreign revenues into dollars negatively impacted sales by around $20m in the quarter.
Comparable sales dropped 1% compared with a 2% increase last year.
Despite the declines, the company reaffirmed its guidance for fiscal 2014 diluted EPS to be in the range of $2.90 to $2.95.
Jaffe added: "Gap's continued focus on improving the omni-channel shopping experience and offering trend-right assortment is anticipated to drive comp gains long term. We reiterate our 'buy' rating and 12 month target price of $48."
The Gap, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
The Gap, Inc. - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and...
Canadean's "The Gap, Inc. : Retail - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key...
The Gap is a US apparel specialist retailer which offers casual, mid-tier clothing. It continues to pursue a multi-tier price strategy, operating retail concepts (Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy, Piper...
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change