US: Gap Q1 off to strong start with 43% profit surge
- Q1 profit jumped 43% to $333m
- Net sales rose 7% to $3.73bn
- Comparable sales increased 2%
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has seen its financial year get off to a "strong start" with profit jumping 43% thanks to sales gains at its namesake and Old Navy chains.
The company, which also operates the Banana Republic, Piperlime and Athleta brands, saw net income surge to $333m in the three months to 4 May, up from $223m in the same period last year.
Net sales rose 7% to $3.73bn, compared with $3.49bn a year ago, with comparable sales increasing 2%.
"We are pleased with our strong start to the year, especially first quarter sales," said chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy."
By division, comparable sales rose 3% at both Gap and Old Navy, and were flat at Banana Republic.
The company, which generates 79% of its sales in the US, worth $2.93bn, has been working to build its business internationally. It added that sales in Europe were flat with last year's quarter at $198m, but Asia saw gains of 14.6% in $313m.
The company reaffirmed its full year earnings per share guidance of $2.52 to $2.60.
The Gap is a US apparel specialist retailer which offers casual, mid-tier clothing. It continues to pursue a multi-tier price strategy, operating retail concepts (Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy, Piper...
The Gap Inc offers casual, mid-tier clothing to Mexican consumers through department stores and recently in 2012 by opening its first flagship Gap store in the country....
Fashion retail group Gap recorded a near-10% rise in third-quarter profit as comparable store sales continued to increase across its business....
Canadean's "The Gap, Inc. : Retail - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key...
The International Labour Organization (ILO) has urged authorities in Cambodia to protect trade union leaders following a clash between striking garment workers and armed forces earlier this week, wher...
The NAFTA Apparel Retail industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: retail market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also conta...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Opportunities and Applications for Digital Textile Printing
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details