US: Gap Q4 profit falls 40% on lower sales
- Q4 profit slumps 40.3% to $218m from $365m
- Net sales slipped 2.3% to $4.3bn
- Comparable sales fell 4%
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc says improving its business in North America is a "top priority" after higher costs, lower sales and promotions contributed to a 40.3% drop in fourth quarter profit.
The San Francisco based company on Thursday (23 February) said it earned $218m, or $0.44 per share, in the three months to 28 January, down from $365m, or $0.60 per share, in the same period last year.
Fourth quarter net sales slipped 2.3% to $4.3bn from $4.4bn, with comparable sales (which include online sales) falling 4%. In its North American units, comparable sales fell 3% at Gap, were flat at Banana Republic and dropped 6% at Old Navy. International sales were down 8%.
Higher costs contributed to a 540 basis points drop in quarterly gross margin to 32.8%.
"There's no doubt that improving our performance, especially in our base businesses, is the top priority in 2012, and we're confident this is the right time to invest wisely to win back customers," said chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy.
For the full year, net income tumbled 17% to $833m, or $1.56 per share, from $1.2bn the year before. Net sales were down 1% to $14.5bn, and comparable sales fell 4%.
By division, comparable sales fell 4% at Gap North America, were down 1% at Banana Republic North America, slipped 3% at Old Navy North America, and dropped 7% at its International stores.
"In spite of 2011 earnings being below last year, we're pleased with the progress we made against our long-term strategic plan, including growing our online business and expanding internationally," Murphy added.
Separately, the retailer said its board of directors has approved a new $1bn share repurchase plan, and that it intends to increase the annual dividend by $0.05 per share to $0.50 during the current year.
The company also expects earnings per share to be in the range of $1.75 to $1.80 for the year.
A broadly positive second quarter's trading, with net profit up 29%, has led fashion retailer Gap to raise its full-year guidance, now predicting earnings per share of US$1.95-2.00....
Lured by warm weather and promotions to clear summer merchandise, US shoppers hit the stores in July giving an overall boost to many apparel retailers - but the results shed little light on back-to-sc...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' July 2012 sales results....
Featured reports from just-style's research store this week include the prospects for India's texile and clothing industry, a look at footwear in Malaysia and SWOT analyses on Billabong and Gap Inc....
High end home-furnishings retailer Restoration Hardware is to expand into apparel, accessories, footwear and jewellery as part of reorganisation plans aimed at setting the business up for future growt...
Fashion retail giant Gap Inc has posted a 29% surge in second quarter net profit, driven by across-the-board comparable store sales increases for its main brands....
Banana Republic has said that designer Narciso Rodriguez will join the brand in an advisory role....
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details