US: Gap same-store sales down 14% in May
Same-store sales at Gap Inc tumbled 14% in May as shoppers shunned its Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy stores.
Net sales for the four weeks to 31 May fell 8% to $1.09bn from $1.19bn.
By division, comparable store sales fell 7% at Gap North America, were down 5% at Banana Republic North America, and plunged 25% at Old Navy North America. International same-store sales were flat.
"Old Navy continues to be our biggest challenge," said Sabrina Simmons, chief financial officer of Gap Inc.
"As we have stated, we are working to rebalance Old Navy's mix of fashion and seasonal basic items, and expect to see improvements in the assortments by late fall."
She also noted that merchandise margins in May were significantly above last year.
Year-to-date sales are down 6% at $4.47bn and comparable store sales are down 12%.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Despite posting a double-digit increase in first quarter profit this week, Zara operator Inditex dropped below its own average growth rate and the expectations of some analysts. Joe Ayling reports on ...
Saks Incorporated has introduced a change to its share structure to prevent a hostile takeover after Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim Helu increased his stake in the luxury retailer to 17.8%....
Falling sales and one-off charges sent department store chain Dillard's spiralling to a US$56m loss in the third quarter, despite a range of cost-saving measures....
Retailer J Crew Group Inc has lowered its full-year outlook after markdowns and higher inventory cut into third quarter profit....
Fashion retailer Delia's Inc has swung to a third quarter profit, helped by a tax benefit and higher sales and margins, but says it will restructure and cut costs after selling its skate-wear business...
Third quarter profit at American Eagle Outfitters Inc has more than halved on lower same-store sales and higher markdowns, prompting the youth apparel retailer to cut its capital spending plans next y...
Cut-price footwear retailer DSW has reduced its full-year profit forecast after the company's third quarter profit fell 41% to US$13.2m....
One-off charges related to headquarters consolidation and IT initiatives more than halved third quarter profits at footwear retail group Brown Shoe Company....
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar